Chapter 25 - mutts

The mutt behind us howels loudly. I risk a look behind being guided through the trees by Cato. It has its front paw in the air like it's beckoning others to join it. Two more fill in by its side coming forward it's gaining quickly.

I raise my speed not letting go of Cato but he's already falling a bit behind not being able to keep my pace. Suddenly he trips and the creature stands on its hindlegs clearing 8 feet tall. In a matter of seconds its jaw is clamped onto Cato's arm but it makes a clinking sound and the mutt immediately pulls back. I drag Cato up and begin running again. I finally understand the amour was never for katniss arrows but for the final battle. We both run Back to the only place We can think of. The cornucopia.

I unzip my jacket with my free hand gaining access to my vest of knives. Cato has no chance with his sword. It beats against his legs. Useless only good for close combat. I look at my own knifes I pull one out and whip my head round whilst Cato guides us through the forest. I aim at the head of a mutt even running I won't miss. It lodges itself into the creatures head and it falls back. There's no time for victory as the other two mutts are still quickly gaining on us.

The adrenaline had stopped my body from rejecting all this movement so far. But I can feel my body start to regain sense. Each step feels like a knife through my legs and a punch in the head. However I persist I grab another knife from my vest aiming it at the second creature. I throw it. The mutt dodges to the left. It yelps as it lands into its eye. I pull another knife aiming it again. But my body betrays me the knife lands metres away and I lurch towards the floor.

Catos dragging me along the floor. I can feel my knees scraping but I can't regain my feet.he jerks his arm up pulling me onto his back. I can feel his heart beat through his spine

I'm going to get us both killed

It's too much effort he can't save us both

"Put me down!" I yell "one of us needs to live!"

My voice is raspy from the effort of running, I can tell Cato is even to exhausted to reply yet he doesn't put me down. I can't let him die. I jolt up and down on his back unable to do anything but hold on weakly.

We've reached the clearing. I can see the cornucopia! I turn back to look at the mutts. Surprised when I find myself stareing into eyes I know to well. Angry brown eyes of the boy who tried to kill me. I Yelp. The mutt is defined and muscular and has short black hair, just like Thresh. Beside him I look at another Mutt one that's pulled the knife out of its eye leaving a bloody socket, yet the one eye that looks at me is completely familiar. It's glimmers Emerald eyes. The mutt is smaller than Threshes and has golden soft fur.

I barely have time to process this discovery when the wind is knocked from me. Being thrown on top of the cornucopia. But it's a weak throw and I slide back down. I can already hear Cato starting to clamour up the side. Glimmer
No not Glimmer a mutt just a mutt
Latches on to my leg. I can feel a hard pinch through the amour. But it's nothing compared to what I would feel if they attacked without it. I pull myself up with my arms, but I can feel the grip not glimmer had on me getting tighter . I reach up and instantly feel Cato pulling me from the mutts grasp. He leans down reaching a hand into my vest pulling the closest knife and throwing it at its head. It instantly releases my leg falling backward. Threshes mutt had just got here lurching out to bite. But it's head barrels into the golden cornucopia. Catos pulled me up just in time.

We both clamour to the highest point of the corincoupia. More mutts are converging. Jumping onto their hind legs and clawing at the Metal. The gold is hot and scalds our hands but it's the Least of our worries. The cornucopia is moulded to represent a harvest basket so there's lots of ridges to grab onto making it an easy climb. If I get out of here I'm going to learn to climb like katniss did. She would've scaled this is seconds. We must be at least 20 feet of the ground when we stop.