Chapter 12 - building the tower

Everyone looks shocked that this boy who stumbled quietly behind us had actually spoke up. Cato already looks ready to stab him as well.

"Go on then lover boy!see for yourself" Cato crosses his arm taping his foot impatiently.

Marina waits for lover boy to get out of earshot then whispers "why don't we just kill him now, get it over with?"

"Let him tag along" I start "and he's handy with a knife, also our best chance of finding her"

The others seem to agree with my statement. Marvel asks if we 'think she brought in to all the sappy romance stuff' Cato says 'she seems pretty simple minded'

Glimmer seems to like this conversation "Every time I think about her spinning in that dress I want to puke"

I don't want them to under estimate her though I know better being under estimated my whole life. So I do it subtly
"Wish we knew how she got that 11, I bet lover boy knows"
This seems to remind them Shes not a harmless girl spinning in dresses.

Just then Peeta comes back followed closely by a cannon fire. "Ready to move on he asks"

We set off in a run just before dawn begins to break. We get back to the cornucopia. The nets unmoved confirming nobody had touched our stuff. We build a chair of crates outside the cornucopia for the person who will be on guard for that hour. We're not sure about trusting lover boy at first but untiimality decide to. If he betrays us we'll just hunt him down. With everybody on shift for an hour we'll get 5 hours sleep which is enough. I take the last shift meaning I'll have uninterrupted sleep we each lay out a mat and get in a sleeping bag behind the net of the cornucopia. I sleep peacefully untill Peeta wakes me up for my shift.

It's just becoming afternoon, I grab some crackers and meat to eat . I'd slept with my knife vest, jacket and boots to my side, so I put them on before I headed out. It was the start of the afternoon when I headed out.

I was half an hour through my shift when the boy from three stood in the over growth like lover boy had last night I sigh and grab a knife. He waves nevoursly, I wonder if he waited for me to be on shift before he came out, probably not, it's a good thing he happens to be about on my shift though. I have a feeling the others would have killed him instantly. I bekon him over. He kind of scuttled scared out of his mind.

"I want to be in your ... alliance" he stutters

"And what use would you be to us?" I laugh pointing my knife at his throat but still not moving from my makeshift chair

"The bombs... I ... can rewire them to protect your supples"

I raise my eyebrow "bombs?"

"Yeah umm... the ones. You know the ones at the countdown"

"Okay. Hold up. Stay here"

He hovers nervously at my instruction. I walk back inside and shake Cato awake. He immediately reaches for his sword but smiles when he sees my face

"The boy from 3 says he can protect our Supplies. He has a good idea"

Cato walks out, the boy winces when he sees him. Probably remembering that time Cato decreased at him in training for stealing his knife. The boy from 3 is at least 6 foot but scrawny ,his got nothing on Cato, and he knows it. When the rest get up they also want to know why his here. He explains his plan several times.

Lunch is quite cheery when it comes around with 7 people sitting on boxes around a table made of extra supplies. We laugh at how jumpy the boy from 3 is. Every time somebody slightly raises their voice he moves a-bit further away. Through he must be somewhat brave to approach a group of careers like he did.

At late noon we start moving all the supplies closer to the lake taking the netting down. It's not an easy task, we build it all up into a mountain seeing who can balance the most on top by throwing it beyond reach. This quickly becomes a game, Cato wins, having the most power in his arms. He balances a random pack right on top. We end up Putting the stuff we might need near the bottom for easier access. However We each choose a back pack and fill it full of stuff for easy access so we won't have to navigate the land mines every time when we want anything.

In my carry bag I put my rolled up sleeping bag, a torch, dried fruits, meats, two litre flasks, bandages, iodine, healing cream and a change of under garments. That's all I can fit. The others choose similar things. I doubt I'll ever need to use medical supplies. I don't fight at close range. And the only people I've seen who can use weapons long distance are with me right now. I also two pockets that I can string onto my belt, I shove as many extra knives in as I can.

By the time we've finished moving everything the anthem is playing in the sky, only the girl Cato, well actually Peeta , killed face shows in the sky. The district 8 girl. We decide we won't hunt tonight. Because we'll wake in the morning to dig the mines. We Keep the same watch schedule, except adding in the district 3 boy on 1st watch which means an extra hour of sleep. Today has been completely uneventful.

We sleep in the cornucopia, the person on guard has these glassess that allow you to see in the dark, we only have two pairs having accidentally tossed the rest up to the top of the pyramid. If your on guard you stay on a box somewhere in between the pile and cornucopia. It's a big area to cover, but the land is flat and easy to see across. We sleep in the cornucopia it keeps the wind off meaning a peaceful sleep and without all the supplies around us we can sleep without fear of getting crushed by a falling supply box. Again Peeta wakes me up for my shift.

6 hours sleep felt rejuvenating and I was ready to go. I put on my second pair of undergarments and wash my other ones in the river. Then leave them in the sun to dry.I notice birds pecking at the top of the pile trying to eat our foods, I try to shoo them but their persistent. I end up throwing knives into the so they fall to the floor. I grab my knives back, wiping the blood off onto the grass. Then I grab the net from the pile and sling it over my shoulder, along with a rope. I climb to the top of the cornucopia and anchor the net to the side of it. Then throw it over the pile. The birds can no longer get in and I'm impressed with my handy work,
I walk back over to my drying clothes and shove them into my backpack.

Everyone wakes up and we eat breakfast together, we dig up the mines from underneath the pedistools, giving them back to the district 3 boy he'd move around some wires and we'd put them in a circle around our supplies, we break for lunch in the middle. We're about half way through. And seeing as shovel isn't a weapon, we dig with a random assort of curved swords. This makes the labour long and hard. Not to mention lifting the bombs out the holes is heavy work. After lunch we go stright back to work. Digging out the finial few bombs, by this time I've taken off my jacket working in just a shirt, the rest have done the same. After they've all been dug up we smooth over all the places that we've dug making it less obvious, they boy from 3, we found out his name is chase, announces that his activated all the mines. We high-five and cheer celebrating the elaborate trap we've just made. We feast tonight. The anthem comes on. For the first time no faces in the sky. We decide we will go hunting tonight. We'll leave chase here, we don't really need a guard due to our trap but we'll leave him here. His probably a liability we don't want. Besides he can protect our backpacks if nothing else. We leave with just our wepons and two backpacks which contain extra spear heads, a few foods and flasks of water. Cato carriers one bag, Marina carries the other.

Cato leads us back into the forest we head in the opposite direction to which we found the district 8 girl. We were getting bored having walking for hours and not finding anyone, dawn will be soon. So we decide to rest for a while. We decide to sit in a place which will be easy to defend. A small clearing surrounded trees in a circular pattern.

We were just sharing a bag full of nuts when the ground begins to tremble and it's takes a second to register but we realise a blaze has completely engulfed the tress around us.