Chapter 24 - last day

I understand now, Finch's plan, it was a genius plan, but she knew we saw here, I swear she looked right at us. She must surely know, even beaten down we could easily take her. She's smart she never stood a chance. But she must've she's still here.

Peeta throws out the berries not realising the cheese has even been tampered with. I'm amazed at this girls skill. I mean I already know she's capable but I almost thought I was seeing things when I saw her stealing our stuff, she could have poisoned us, she clearly knew what these berries could do. but she didn't. Maybe she didn't see the berries until Peeta picked them up. That would make more sense. She would've taken the opportunity to kill the careers surely.

Katniss then goes to tell Peeta of a plan to fill Marvels leather pouch, which she stole from his dead body, with the berries and pretend to drop them when we're chasing her. If we hadn't had been watching their every move it might've worked. I can't even be mad at them for thinking of the plan though I feel I should be. I turn my head slightly to see Catos face. But it registers no emotion. They light a fire and start cooking some meats she hunted.
It makes my mouth water watching it. She's obviously a lot more skilled at me at preparing foods. I close my eyes not wanting to see the people who are about to die. At least they won't die by our hands. Is that a selfish thought? I don't know ,maybe.

Eventually the two walk away holding rabbit legs and putting the rest in packs, Cato asks if we should follow them, I say know both of us are half dead we'd be too loud, katniss could easily shoot us and we still don't know if lover boy has a secret weapon like Katniss did, but I'm doubtful he does. We know him a little bit from the time at the start of the games. But the armour would protect us from any attack unless she aims for the head. Even if the amour isn't doing a great job at protecting right now (theres nothing to protect us from) it's great support. It's like a whole body cast you can move in.

I've seen a boy in a full body cast before, laid out on a stretcher in a dusty hospital room. A particularly bad fight in the academy, the instructors could barely pull the attacker off him. I never knew what happened. Of course rumours spread straight away, eventually everyone got bored of him and moved on to something else. I wonder if that's what would happen if I were to die inside this arena, maybe they'd be sad for a week and move on. I mean we had two winners in a row. We celebrated the winner so much, we never mourned our fallen tribute.

I feel guilty, I don't even remember the names of the tributes we lost, they were told the games would bring them honour, and now I don't think I could recall a thing about some of them.

Eventually the area goes silent except the whistle of birds, that I can't seem to see anywhere. We crawl out from under the bush, my whole body seems to have gone stiff and I wonder how long we'd be lying still for. I shake out my body, getting the limbs used to movement again. The day just seems to be getting hotter and hotter. And our water supply is getting less and less. There's no way we can go back to the river now. We're going to have drink less regularly. Dehydration is not the way I want to go out.

We barely talk as we travel back to our camp. my mouth is so dry I doubt words would come out anyway. The amour isn't helping with the heat. Any water I've consumed I'm sweating out right now. When we reach the ditch we both collapse into it. The shade it offers is very welcome, but out bodies are so close it feels like we're picking up heat from each other.

Cato starts rooting through the bags looking at the diffrent medical supply's and tablets

"None of these are even labelled" he growls "how am I supposed to know what will help the pain and what will kill me?" He throws them to the floor angrily. The heat and lack of resources is obviously getting to him.

I raise an eyebrow "so what did you give to me after... you know?" I ask

"After Thresh?" He says