Chapter 20 - annoucment 2

From after that conversation everything felt so much more simple. It's like it finally sunk in we don't have to go home alone. It also becomes clear That he's starting having the same doubts about the capitol as I had so maybe the people we learnt to worship aren't as genourous, maybe Marvel, Glimmer, Marina, Chase and little Rue didn't have to die. Maybe all the parents didn't have to loose their children.I don't know why I thought of Rue. I didn't even know her name untill I saw her fragile body being lifted into the air. I wonder if Thresh would've found her, after the rule change. I think of how katniss volunteered for her sister, she deserves to win, but nobody good ever wins the game. It feels like I'm constantly spiralling further away from the truth I knew, and I don't want to find what's beyond it because in reality everybody I love is fighting for the wrong thing.

We curl into the sleeping bag together. So close together I can hear his subtle breaths clearly. We both decide on no watch again, trusting our cover from the foliage and trees to keep us camouflaged enough nobody will spot us. Also we'll hear twigs snapping if anybody comes close to us. Cato falls asleep easily, I however can't turn my brain off, the night just keeps getting colder and colder. The anthem starts in the sky yet again. Cato stirs abit then falls back to sleep. No new casualties today. The temperature keeps dropping and dropping further in complete contrast to the hot day we just had. I can even feel Cato shaking in his sleep. Although we share a sleeping bag I can't get enough of his body heat. My teeth clatter I hold my chin trying to stop the sound, clamping my teeth together that my jaw starts to hurt.

I must have been exusted enough that I fell asleep. Maybe just for a few hours but it feels like way more, I actually feel well rested. I reach beside me trying to feel Catos body heat but my hand falls into the air. I shoot upward looking for him but there's no sign. My breath quickens, where could he have gone. Maybe he thought he had a better chance of winning without me. No, he wouldn't do that, not after everything his said to me. He loves me right?

The day seems like it's got hotter again I'm sweating. I don't know if the sweat is amplified from the fear of my thoughts, but I need to cool down. I rip off my first jacket only to realise it's a lot bigger and I'm wearing mine underneath. Cato must've left and gave me his jacket somewhere through the night. He must've froze. But if his left his jacket he must be coming back. I peel off his putting it beside me and then place mine on top creating a small pillow and laying my head back down in relief.

Eventually I get up and walk out of the cover of the trees. Almost on cue Cato walks into our little camp. He's holding a rabbit with a sword through it.

"I woke up and you were went there" I say "I thought you might've gone off on your own" I cross my arms. It comes out angry but I think I was more relieved to see him then anything.

"No, I wouldn't do that" he replies "not to you. Any way I was out hunting and this is all I could find." He holds up his sword with the impaled rabbit on it

"Yeah and the weathers weird. It's baking during the day and plummets so low at night... oh and thanks for the jacket" I say putting the thought of him going off on his own to the back of my head.

He sits down next to me and looks at his catch. "I don't think there's a lot of meat left on this" he says

His right his sword goes through most of its body, I skin it anyway and cook it over a fire. In the end there's only two legs left. Absolutely no meat left from the body.

"You have both. I don't mind" I say once I've finished cutting it.

"No, you keep giving me most of yours. Don't think I didn't notice. Besides it would be a shame for you to get this far in the games and die of somthing stupid like emancipation" he says