Chapter 18 - Finding Marvel

We try to rember the route back to where we were, but we hadn't followed any particular path and seemed to be running in loops. The canon sound, It couldn't have been Marvel, his to strong. Nobody left in this arena could overpower him but Thresh, and there's been no sign of Thresh since the start of the games.

Boom

Another canon goes off it must only have been about a minute apart at most. We look at each other. I can see We both need to find our ally desperately. I know Cato had become close to Marvel over the past days. I had been close to him too. Maybe enough to call him a friend.

I look to the floor "Cato look" our foot prints are marked onto the floor next to the lake, this must be the route we took this morning. Cato immediately understands and we start running following the trail. We were running for about 3 minutes when we see the hovercraft appears. As we feared it appears right over the place marvel had made his trap. He halt immediately staring up.

We can't do anything but stand and gawp as we see our Allies body lifted into the air. Though I had thought it could've been Marvel, I wasn't prepared for it to be, if we hadn't have left him alone maybe he wouldn't be being lifted into the air. My heart beats at such a rate you'd think I'd been running for endless hours. His backpacks not on him, maybe we'll be able to retrieve it. His spear is still by his side covered in blood and an arrow protrudes from his neck, it must've been how he died. But I've only seen Glimmer with arrows. Katniss, when she was fighting glimmers body in the tracker jacker induced vision, she must've been getting the weapon off her. I expect the next body to be lifted to be katniss'

But it's not. It's the little girl from district 11. I try to recall her name. Rue. The little girl was called rue. She looked peaceful. Flowers fell off her body as she rose into the hover craft. She looked almost angelic. I lean into Catos chest, I feel him wrap an arm around me. He needs to hold me as much as I need to hold him. I think of Marvels girlfriend back home. Waiting for him, now he'll never return and his parents will be left childless. And little Rue, I don't know why but seeing her fragile body lifted into the air, I know she never stood a chance, but she was too gentle. She shouldn't be gone. She shouldn't have even been here.

"They didn't deserve to die" I whisper into Catos chest. The cameras wouldn't have seen. Cato nods his head. Nobody will understand why. We walk close to each other over to where Marvel died, when we get there his pack is nowhere in sight. But we're too sad to feel anger at the person who stole it. The person who we both figured out was katniss Everdeen.

We head back to the cornucopia, not knowing where else we could make camp. Cato had dropped the bird a while back when we were chairing after Marvel. I keep any eye out on the walk spotting a rabbit. I throw a knife into it's eye and pick it up holding it by it's legs. There's complete silence except the whistle of over head birds repeating the same tune over and over.

When we reach the cornucopia the sun is starting to fall again. We start to build the fire before we realise Marvel had all the matches. Cato kicks over the fire wood ,stalking to the other corner of the cornucopia and I drop the dead rabbit to the floor. There's nothing we can do with it. I walk over to Cato. I know I shouldn't Enobarias words don't let them see circulate my head, but I don't like to see the boy I love in this pain. I walk over sitting next to him, our backs against the wall. I lean my head onto his shoulder and curl my legs up. Hopefullly the capitol won't see this as anything more than a comforting gesture. We just lost our closest ally, surely they'll understand. Catos just about to wrap his arm around me when we see a parachute fall at the mouth of the cornucopia.

Cato clambers over to it almost immediatly and brings it back over. I know Enobaria sent this tactfully, probably seeing we were getting to close to each other. We open the container at the bottom of the parachute, there where two metal bowls with cutlery completely empty I sigh lifting it up but then another small meteal box I open it and it's filled with a single match. It was a majorly disappointing sponsor.