Kentucky

It was two in the morning when David said it was time to move. We all loaded into the cars and followed David. He had a set map he wanted to stick to and so he took the lead. We drove on and I had opted to drive. That way Alisa could sleep and be awake with the kids during the day, since Riley still won't talk to me. Kade had taken Taylor in his truck so that he could keep an Steven him. I still didn't feel comfortable with him so I avoided him at all costs. We finally crossed into Kentucky at around four in the morning and had gotten onto the highway. I smiled and shook Alisa awake.

"Welcome to Kentucky." Said David.

"Without let's find ourselves a camp." Said Kade.

I didn't say anything advice was thinking of my mother. How did she turn into one of those things if she hadn't been bitten and it was weeks after we lost Terry. I didn't mention it to anyone but I tried to remember how she looked. I remembered she had a scratch on her neck that hadn't healed and it had appeared the day we lost Terry.

I picked up the walkie, "Hey, I just realized something. You know how my mother turned into one of those things after dying?"

"Yes." Came Kades voice.

"Well she hadn't been bitten or anything. Do you remember that scratch she had on her neck?" I asked.
"I do, I always asked her to treat it. What about it?" Asked David.

"She had been scratched by one of them. It didn't heal because it infected her. Their scratched are dangerous as well as bites. We need to be more careful." I say.

"That's good thinking. Though I am sorry you keep thinking about her. We all know how much it hurts." Said David.

I didn't reply because Alisa was looking like she would cry. I ignored her and kept following the others. Soon we stopped.

"Cut your engines and stay inside. There is a large group passing up a head. Roll all windows up and get down." Ordered David.

Alisa woke the kids and I rolled the windows up and cut the engine and got down. I turned down the volume on the walkie so it wouldn't draw attention from the infected. I knew that this was important. We needed to hide so none of the others died. I would protect everyone I could as long as I could just to keep them safe.

"Jupiter, I am sorry I treated you so bad. I just miss mommy." Whispers Riley.

"It's alright, Ri. Stay quiet now." I whisper back.

It remained quiet for over an hour. I couldn't see around the cars in front of me so all I could do was wait until David said it was clear.

"The pack should be long gone now. It's safe to move on." Came Davids voice.

We slowly got back into our seats and started our journey again. David led us further down the highway before turning off on an exit and we were driving into a city. We drove for shuttle longer until we found a safe location to camp. It was a log cabin located near a river. We parked and got out. I grabbed my gun and headed inside the cabin with David. We check each room and closer for any infected people. There aren't any, but when we go back out there are a few coming toward us. I aim and fire at a few, David kills a few and Taylor kills the last of them. We rush everyone inside and Kade and I take watch. Our noise may have attracted more. I sit on the railing and scan the treeline for any sign of movement.

"What's your issue with Taylor?" He asks me.

"He shows up with some crap story about loosing everyone he knew to an attack and he was the only one who made it. I don't believe him. I don't think we should have allowed him on with us, and now he's near the kids. I don't want him near Riley." I said.