The Confrontation

We drove for hours and hours until we came upon a small Indiana town. David suggested we rested and head forward in an hour or so. The kids needed to use the bathroom so Phoebe and Alisa took them. I stated and helped my mother prepare a meal of crackers and canned meat. It wasn't much but it was all we dared ration until we got more food. Kade and David created a perimeter and walked it until the food was ready to eat. Each of us got ten crackers smothered in meat with a bottle of soda or juice. We stood at the bed of Kades truck and are while chatting about anything we could think of. I heard the car first before it came into view. Soon after everyone else heard it and all turned to watch it approach. I grabbed the kids and sent them into Davids van. The car kept coming and I thought it would pass but soon it slowed down and came to a stop beside my truck. I snuck my hand to the back of my pants and grabbed my gun. I was ready. A man with a brown cowboy hat got out of the drivers side. A tall thin guy with blonde hair and green eyes came from the passenger side. Two more men climbed out of the back and came toward is.

"Can we help you?" David asked them.

"We came to ask you. You are in our boundaries." Said the man with the hat.

"I see. We will be moving on in a few minutes. We stopped to stretch our legs and go to the bathroom." David informed them.

"Well this is our land. We don't want outsiders on our land." He said.

"Look, we are just as much survivors as you guys are. We have children as well. We deserve a rest." Kade said.

"We don't care. If we catch you on our land again we won't hesitate to shoot. This is our land. We don't share and we surely don't like back talk." The blonde man said.

"Look we will leave, can you tell us how close to the boarder we are?" My mother asked them.

"Not close enough. Now leave." The first man demanded.

I stepped forward and smiled, "We will leave when we are ready. Like he said we have children and they are in the woods using the bathroom."

"In our woods? Oh hell no. Alex and Charlie go look for them. James and I will remain here. Catch those damn kids." The first man said.

The two men he nodded to left toward the woods. The other guy aimed a him at us. Kade, my mother and I pulled ours on them. The first man smiled and didn't lower his gun. Alisa stood next to David in fear. I hoped the kids stated out of sight. Alisa must have heard my thoughts and nodded. I took answer breath. The first of the two men came back while the other didn't. The first man seemed upset.

"Where is Charlie?" He demanded.

"Got bitten by an infected. I ran as fast as I could to get away." Alex told him.

"I see, how many infected were there?" The first man asked.

"A pack of at least ten or more. I didn't stick around long enough to get a head count." Alex said.

"Which way were they heading?" He asked.

"Back toward camp."

The first man for in his car and was followed by his men and they turned around and sped off. I sighed in relief. we got thinkers settled in Davids van and I got in my truck. Kade stopped me. My mother and Alisa wanted to ride in my truck and Kade wanted to talk to me. I got in his truck and we started moving. My heart finally got back to normal and the adrenaline I had felt had gone away. I kept looking behind us to make sure my mom and Alisa were with us.

"You did amazing with those men." Kade told me.

"I did what I had to do." I said.

"Why did you lie to them about the kids?" He asked.