Chapter ♦ 17

Flatomhelm.

If one were ever able to win the favor of a dragon, then it is said that it is tantamount to being blessed by the Heavens themselves.

Dragons are known to be fiercely conscientious creatures. And very much amatory at that. Anything that they come to acknowledge as their own, they become wholeheartedly committed towards it, their protectiveness becomes something akin to obsessiveness; they become so obsessed with their object of protection that death becomes a mere passing thought to them as long as they could successfully safeguard their object of devotion. However, all Hell would break lose if they ever were to loose their object of devotion.

The world was dyed in a blemish of pure white, blue flames of menace plundered the land of the moonfolk in a devastating sea of carnage. And amidst this plethora of pillage, the sublime dragon, Ceruleous stood her ground, her eyes brimming with a delirious dragonish glare.

Queen Shae Lea Halcyon, concentrated all her power, her mental chi into one gigantic transparent circle and in the next moment, engulfed the mad Ceruleous into the giant spiritual bubble, trying to bring at least a small fraction of her sanity back to her.

Fortunately so, Ceruleous’s rampage abruptly came to a halt and her turquoise eyes found some clarity in them.

Shae Lea could here the dragon’s pitiful wails calling for her lost child, her consciousness drifting between sanity and delirium.

“Heed my words, the great azure dragon of the east, I am the Queen of the Halcyons and I vow in the name of the Halcyonic royal blood, I shall try my foremost to bring back your child. So please, let me aid you. I am someone who seeks to end all that you are devolving into and prevent you from educing to the sinful creature that you would turn into if you don’t retain your sanity.” Shae Lea voiced out as she casted the spell of Aegis over the vast expanse of Flatomhelm.

Like a golden spider web, the chants of the spell spread to protect the residence of the land, so that, even if Shae Lea were to be unsuccessful in persuading the berserk azure dragon, and if it once more went into a crazy splurge, she would at least be able to protect the moonfolk from going extinct from the face of this realm.

The moment Ceruleous heard the Queen’s voice, the agitation in her soul became clearer. Yes, why was she causing a rampage here, in a place where there was not a sign of her young one, she has to go after those who had taken her young one, she has to!

And hence, she abruptly took flight. In a zapping blaze, she made her way straight towards the gateway entrance to the Orphic world.

“Oh no!” Shae Lea felt the ominous premonition to the prelude of an even greater mayhem unfolding before her.

She chanted a spell and in the next second, a golden glittering lasso appeared in her hands and she threw it to make a noose over Ceruleous’s neck to stop her from going towards the gateway. She couldn’t have imagined that her clearing up Ceruleous’s conscious would result in Ceruleous trying to destroy the gateway connecting the two realms, accelerating the very consequence that she was so desperately trying to impede.

The azure dragon was dragged back half way as it howled and struggled in mid-air, trying to loosen the noose around its neck.

“Ceruleous, listen to me!” Shae Lea enunciated with a firm voice, “If you go and destroy the gateway, you will never get back your young one. So please, listen to me and trust me this once, I pledge to bring back your young one in turn.”

Shae Lea’s voice boomed in the skies, resonating even in the deepest parts of the Halcyonic realm, but it made little difference to the already unnerved dragon.

 Finding no other alternative, all Shae Lea could hope for now was to stall Ceruleous enough to buy the time her subordinates needed to find the azure egg.

And all this while, she couldn’t help but wonder, what would her elder sister have done if she were here.

~ •••••••••••~

ORPHIC REALM_CITY OF BALLSHECK. CAPITAL OF ZELDERETH.

In a dim cranny of a dreary hideaway, there laid a faint glowing blue egg, looking pitifully weak to the eye.

It was blinking like a fireflies’ last ounce of light, seeming as though the glow would go off any given moment.

A man and a woman looked at the vaguely pulsating dragon egg and both seem to be drowned in thoughts of their own.

These two individuals were the two perpetrators, the root of all the chaos occurring in Eurazania; the wizard Edmuris and Ophelia, the pimp.

“What is wrong with that egg?” Ophelia could no longer contain her curiosity, and so, she asked.

“It’s going to die soon.” Was the curt answer from Edmuris as he looked through the water route maps that could take one to Reveldron, all the while making plans for his future goals.

“What!!” Ophelia was stumped for words all of a sudden. “What are you thinking, Lord Edmuris? This… this can’t be right? This is the egg we spent so much effort into bringing back from the Halcyon realm. We can’t let it just die; else all our efforts would be but futile.”

Edmuris finally looked away from his maps and said in a smooth honey-toned voice, “….My dear Ophelia, of course I know that. But to bring the azure egg back to life, we can either return it back to its nest or let it consume the essence of a Zelderian royal’s life force. Now both of us know that we can’t really return the egg, but we can always let it devour a royal’s life force.”

“…. A-A Royal’s life force?” Ophelia was dumbfounded once more. As if struck by lightning, she almost didn’t lose it.  

Ophelia Vegan was a small-time crook. The most she had ever done was smuggle in a few girls from foreign lands or smuggle them away to some foreign lands. But she had never partaken in anything big, like the murder of a Royal. Suddenly, she had a bad apprehension.

“Wha-What are you thinking, Lord Edmuris?” She asked, a bit antsy in her gut.

Edmuris could of course feel her unease, but how could he let her feel the smallest of doubt?

He grabbed Ophelia and dragged her into his arms, caressing her smooth cheeks amorously as he muttered in her ears in aa affectionate manner, “You don’t have to worry about a thing, my dear. How can I ever hope to put you in danger? But sweet Phily, if we succeed this time, you could even be a Queen. Would you…. like that?”

TO BE CONTINUED……….