Chapter Sixty-Eight

Cassandra stands in front of Trudie's front door. She fidgets with her hands and then sighs. Elena waits for Cassandra to be ready. Finally, Cassandra works up the courage and knocks on the door. Then seems to panic.

"I can't do this" Cassandra mumbles and goes to walk away. Elena hesitates to follow but stops, as does Cassandra, when Trudie answers the door. Cassandra looks at her.

"Trudie? Tru-Trudie Peterson?" Elena asks.

"Yes?"

"Uh, my name is Elena Gilbert, this is my sister, Cassandra" Elena motions for Cassandra to come back. Cassandra worries her lip but moves closer to Elena. "We wanted to talk to you about Isobel Flemming"

"Well, I haven't heard that name in years. How do you know her?" Trudie asks them.

"I think that, um, well...do you know if she had twin babies that she gave up for adoption?" Elena asks.

"My god. You're her daughters" Trudie realises and then laughs. "I was just gonna make some tea. Would you like some?" She asks the girls. Elena nods.

"Sure"

"Uh, the kitchen's this way." Trudie backs away from the door, anticipating their entrance. Elena steps over the threshold, followed by Cassandra, and Trudie releases her breath, shutting the front door with a quick nervous glance outside.

...............

In a small living room, Cassandra stands with her arms folded over her chest, she's trying to hide her nerves. She watches as Elena removes her jacket and takes a seat. A little more comfortable. Trudie walks into the room from the kitchen.

"I'm sorry that we're barging in" Elena offers.

"It's no problem. Um, just a surprise, though" Trudie takes a seat across from Elena. "I haven't thought about Isobel in years"

"When was the last time you saw her?" Elena asks and looks back at Cassandra who shifts on her feet.

"About 17 years ago, when she left to go have you two. We kept in touch for a while, but, well, you know, people drift apart"

"And you don't know where she ended up?" Elena continues.

"She was in Florida for a while. She was on her own. I know it wasn't easy" Trudie offers.

"Do you have any idea who our father is?" Cassandra asks this time, Trudie looks at her and shakes her head

"I could never get her to fess up. Anyway, she finally pulled it together, got into college on a scholarship."

"Where did she go?"

"Somewhere in North Carolina. Duke, I think. Smart girl, smart school" The kettle starts whistling from the kitchen. "Let me just grab that" Trudie gets up and goes into the kitchen, looking back at the twins. She takes her phone out of her pocket and texts 'They're here.' to an unknown number. Elena turns in her seat to look at her sister.

"You okay?" Elena asks Cassandra who shrugs.

"I don't know" She answers. "Feel weird"

"Like a.." Elena wiggles her fingers. "Weird, or just a 'this situation is weird' weird?" Cassandra snorts and shrugs again.

"I have no idea....just something about this feels....off" She admits and shares a look with Elena who nods, understanding to be wary here.

..........

Cassandra, Elena and Trudie are now looking through an old yearbook. Trudie points out a picture of her and Isobel.

"Wow, Cas, you look just like her" Elena comments, Cassandra glances at the photo, and yeah, she supposes out of the two of them she does look more like a teenaged Isobel. Especially in the cheerleader outfit.

"They came to the games for us" Trudie comments. "The football team hadn't won in years. We were the stars. Well, Izzie was. But I was a damn good backup" Elena smiles.

"This is great. Thank you"

"You're welcome" Trudie looks at Elena's teacup. "You haven't touched your tea" Trudie points out.

"Oh. Yeah," Elena picks the cup up and takes a sip. She furrows her brow at the taste of it and gives it a whiff.

"What is this?" Elena asks.

"Oh, it's just some herbal mixture" Trudie offers.

"Vervain?" Elena asks. Trudie doesn't respond. "You know" Elena realises.

"Know what?" Trudie asks, her eyes flickering around.

"You didn't invite us in, and you're serving vervain tea. You know" Elena points out. Trudie stands up, alarmed.

"I think that you should probably leave" Trudie tries to leave, Elena places her cup down and looks at Cassandra.

"Cassie" She starts, Cassandra holds out her hands and forces Trudie to sit back in her seat with her powers.

"What are you not telling us?" Cassandra asks.

"Please" Trudie begs, utterly terrified, but not of them. Cassandra releases her and cocks her head.

"Cas?" Elena asks.

"It's okay, Elena" Cassandra offers. "Let's just go" They're not here to get anyone in trouble. And Trudie is petrified about something.

"Cas" Elena whispers, Cassandra moves closer to her.

"Let's go" She repeats and gives her a look. "She terrified of something, Elena" Cassandra points out. "And it's not us...whatever it is, we're making it worse" Elena looks at Trudie and then nods in agreement.

..........

Outside, Cassandra digs in her pocket for the car keys as she crosses the street. Elena trails behind her, pulling on her jacket. Cassandra moves around the car to climb into the driver's side and sees a man standing in the middle of the road. She tilts her head a little watching him. Elena notes her gaze and follows her line of sight.

"Get in the car" Cassandra orders, pushes Elena to get in as fast as she can. Elena nods and climbs into the passenger side as Cassandra climbs in the driver's side. Cassandra ignites the engine and drives off. The man slowly walks down the street towards where they were parked.