Chapter Forty-Seven

Cassandra is driving down a dark and deserted road. A small shopping list rests on the passenger seat with ice cream and soda written on, as if she would have forgotten what she needed between her house and the store. Her cell phone rings, Elena's name flashing on the screen. Cassandra reaches across to where her phone is on the dash, but it's too far. Her fingers brush over it and it just pushes it further away and off the dash to the floor.

"Oh come on" She complains and sighs. She stares at the empty expanse of road and then decides it's a good idea to reach down. She does so. Fingers stretching for her phone. She groans and pushes herself forward a little. Her fingers touching the screen before she manages to wrap her fingers around it. When she leans up, her eyes catch sight of a figure in the road. She slams her brakes, but the person hits her windshield. Her jeep flips and skids across the concrete of the road before coming to a stop. Blood draws down the side of Cassandra's face and her red mist flickers at her fingers. She turns her head slightly, reaching for her seatbelt, but finds it stuck. She's trapped. The man who she hit slowly gets back up and starts to approach her. She looks at her hands. "Come on" She begs as her powers flicker in and out of existence. "Please" She just needs one good throw. Just one. She glances at the approaching figure, he's closer to her than she expected, almost on top of her and her powers aren't working. She tugs on her seatbelt as panic sets in. She lets out a scream once he reaches a few steps away from her. He runs away. A second later, more footsteps approach the car. Fearing that it is the same man back again. She holds out her hand and prays that she has enough energy to get him this time.

"Cas?" Damon asks her as he crouches by the broken driver's window.

"Damon?" She asks, he hums and she lowers her hand.

"Yeah..." He answers.

"I thought..." She whispers and leans her head back, relaxing slightly.

"How ya doing in there?" He asks, she gives him a look back. "You look a bit stuck"

"It's my seat belt. I can't..." She starts to get upset. Fear seeping in and her adrenaline leaving her. "I can't...get it" She reaches down for her seatbelt again.

"Let me get you out of there." He offers. "I want you to put your hands on the roof" Cassandra sniffles and sets her hands flat on the roof under her. "Just like that" Damon praises her. "You ready?" He asks, she shakes her head. She's not. But she knows it has to be done. "1, 2, 3." Damon ejects her seat belt and she slips from her seat with a little surprised yelp. Damon's hands are then hooking under hers and helping her out of the jeep. "I got you" He assures her as he pulls her out of the jeep but keeps a hold of her. "Are you okay? Can you stand? Is anything broken?" He asks her, she shakes her head.

"Uh-uh," She mumbles. "I don't think so" She whispers and reaches up for her head as he puts her down. She sways slightly and pulls her hands back from her head, finds blood on her finger. "Oh," She whispers. Damon catches her before she falls to the ground.

"Whoa" He lifts her back up. "Cas. Cassandra, look at me" Damon presses his hand to her face. "Focus. Look at me. Okay." His thumb brushes over her cheek as her eyes shift to him but they are still unfocused, she is going to pass out. "I've got you" He assures her, she hums a little and then falls unconscious in his arms. He shifts her slightly so he can pick her up properly. Her head dropping against his shoulder. He carries her away from her jeep.

..............

The sun is shining when Cassandra comes around. Rocked by car vibrations. She shifts slighting as she struggles to come up with an explanation as to where she is. The landscape outside of the window isn't familiar. She sits up and turns, finds Damon is sat in the driver's seat, fingers tapping on the wheel along to the music playing on the radio. He glances at her and notes that she is awake and watching him.