Chapter Thirty-Nine

Cassandra leans on a small railing that looks down into a pit. This pit is currently filled with her nightmare Spongebobs. And right in the middle...Damon. He's trying to wade his way through them to get to the stairs on the other side of the pit. He's not meant to make it though. She designed it that way.

"Call them off, Cas" Damon snaps a little, Cassandra cocks her head watching him swatting at the feral rabid Spongebobs. She has been watching them for quite a while now, finding some level of enjoyment out of it. Watching him squirm.

"Why did you do it?" She asks back, he frowns at her.

"Do what?" He counters.

"Kill that Lexi chick" She answers. He sighs and glances at the Spongebobs, they have stopped attacking but are still waiting, just in case.

"Is that why you've been blocking me out of your dreams?" He asks her, she gives him a look. "Right, fine" He mumbles. "I did it to get the council off my back, and Stefan's....but mostly mine"

"Why would the council care?" She argues.

"They know about vampires" He offers and moves through the docile Spongebobs and towards Cassandra. "They've been looking for us....hunting really" She cocks her head. "An annoyance actually" he climbs the steps. "You've been avoiding me" He points out, she raises an eyebrow at him.

"Yeah, I have" She agrees.

"And not because of the Lexi thing" He muses, she folds her arms over her chest. "You went all weird before that..." He cocks his head, studying her, trying to work it out. Because they were okay. Not perfect but he had seemed to have won her back over. Then....like a switch. "What have done this time?"

"Many things" She points out. "So...I'm not going to help you any more" She tells him. "You want the crystal back...you can ask Bonnie for it....don't drag me into your vampire drama any more..." She steps away from the railing and makes a move to leave.

"Can we still get coffee?" He asks her, she glances at him. He wiggles his eyebrows at her.

"I don't know" She argues. "I don't want you to think that I am endorsing what you did to that...Lexi person"

"She was a vampire, you get that, right?" He asks her as they leave the little basement area.

"Yeah, but that doesn't mean she deserved to die" She points out. He smirks a little and shakes his head. "I mean you've killed more people than her since you arrived.....she kept to herself and Stefan...." Damon rolls his eyes.

"Is that it?" He asks, she gives him a look. "Is she the only reason you're avoiding me....yet again"

"Being around you is turning me into a raging bitch" She points out.

"No" He stops her. "You're just not taking shit anymore" She glances at him. "You let Bonnie borrow the necklace, she won't give it back....."

"I'm still not going to help you" She points out, stopping him. "I'm sorry I gave it to her, because it brought on this whole thing, but I tried, and I am not getting hurt over some dumb necklace" She rubs her fingers together. "And I am not falling out with my best friend because of you" She then looks at her hand as she starts to disappear, waking up. "I guess that's my cue" She offers.

"Coffee?" He asks her, she glances at him.

"Fine" She answers. He smirks, victorious just as she disappears. Damon swings his arms at his side before he starts to disappear, waking himself.

....................

In the parking lot of the high school, Elena, Cassandra and Caroline are walking towards the school. Cassandra pulls her bag up to her shoulder as it slides down to her elbow.

"Have you talked to Bonnie yet?" Elena asks Cassandra who shakes her head.

"I text her but I didn't get an answer..." Cassandra admits. "Guessing that she doesn't accept my apology"

"How long can she ignore you?" Caroline asks.

"Well, it's already been a month since I tried to snatch that crystal back....." Cassandra offers. "So...." She shrugs, Caroline then turns to Elena.

"Your turn. Where's Stefan? Have you talked to him?"

"He's avoiding me."

"Why?" Caroline asks, Elena and Cassandra share a look. Both know that Caroline is not in the middle of this and both wanting to keep Caroline as far from the sharp and scary as they can.

"...It's complicated" Elena settles in, and just then, the bells rings, giving Elena and Cassandra both the excuse to leave. "We'll see you later" Elena offers Caroline as she loops arms with Cassandra and walks away.

"Okay, so have you considered what we talked about?" Cassandra asks, Elena frowns and looks at her. "Your non-life-threatening options" Cassandra elaborates. "Come on, there are some cute boys around here, you just have to look....." Cassandra points to a group of boys from their year. "You got Billy and Tommy...."

"Cassie" Elena scolds a little.

"Come on, they're cute and smart and....human" Cassandra and Elena share a look. "Or what about Peter" She points to another boy. "Little bit of a loner but...." She shrugs.

"Can we not talk about this?" Elena asks her. "I said I would think about it...and I am, but I...just would like to think about it myself"

..................

In history class, Cassandra sits down in class next to Bonnie, Elena on Cassandra's other side as Alaric, the new teacher, prepares for his class. Bonnie looks at Cassandra and smiles at her, Cassandra relaxes, seeing the forgiveness and smiles back. Bonnie reaching out her hand and Cassandra taking it with her own. Friends. Cassandra was not willing to lose her friend over Damon and some stupid necklace.

"Good Morning everyone. Alrighty," Alaric tells the class as he writes his name on the chalkboard. Cassandra mouths 'Are you okay?' to Bonnie who just shrugs back in answer. "Alaric Saltzman. It's a mouthful, I know. Doesn't exactly roll off the tongue. Saltzman is of German origins. My family emigrated here in 1755 to Texas. I, however, was born and raised in Boston. Now the name Alaric belongs to a very dead great-grandfather I will never be able to thank enough. You'll probably want to pronounce 'Alaric' but it's 'Alaric', okay? So, you can call me Ric. I'm your new history teacher."