Chapter Fourteen

Being the queen was not as easy as Queen Tailah had made it out to be. There were so many things to do. With great power comes great stress and, yeah, responsibility. Uncle Ben was right.

When something went wrong I had to handle it. I was in charge of almost everything and it was scary. It seemed like I had Elias on the phone with me every single minute of the day. I would have never survived the first week without him.

I spent my days trying to reorganize the pack into a semi-civilized place. Nothing had been the same since the death of Queen Tailah. Everyone was looking at me for guidance and I was trying my best to give it to them.

Once I started to get the hang of everything, I started to talk to the females about maybe letting the Males come and visit whenever they wanted and not only during mating season. At first everyone looked at me as if I was bonkers. If this was enough to make them think I was crazy. I hated to imagine what look they would give me when they found out that I wanted to somehow make peace with the Vrykolakes.

When they started to accept the idea of the Males visiting whenever they wanted, I started to hint at maybe letting the younger males stay with their mothers until they were in their teens. Almost every older and mated female jumped at that idea. They wanted to see all their children all the time.

When I threw in the idea of the Males staying at the Camp, they all looked at me as if I was insane again. It took a while but they came around to the idea. Everyone wanted to be as normal as possible.

Next I had to talk to the Males. I was sure that that would be an adventure all its own. I started with Elias.

"Let me get this straight. You not only want that younger males to stay at the Camp but you also want the adult males to move in, too."

I nodded my head.

He just looked at me as if I had sprouted another head.

I wonder if Queen Tailah ever got these reactions when she wanted to change things. "What's wrong with that?" I wanted to know.

He thought about it. "Nothing, I guess but…"

"But what?" I demanded.

"What if the Males don't want to move to the Camp? We can't force them. Most of us have jobs and houses out there."

"I'm not saying every single male has to move to the Camp. I'm saying if mated males want to live with their families it’s okay. Also males that are single and/or courting can visit whenever they want. It's not fair that you get to visit whenever you want but the others can't."

"Okay. Fine. I'll go along with your idea but I hope you know what you're getting into." He observed. "People will get mated all year long that means more babies. You're going to have to build more cottages."

I shrugged. "It's not like we don't have the room. I just found out that we have over nineteen thousand acres of land."

"We use to have double that but when the Lykáns and the Vrykolakes parted ways the land was split down the middle."

"I heard."

"Okay," Elias said, standing. "I'll call a meeting with the Males. If they like the idea, I'll call you and you can tell them when they can start moving in."

"All right. Thanks."

He patted my head. "You should rest. You look tired."

I smiled. "I'm the queen. I can never rest. Unlike you, I can't punch people when they don't agree with me."

He shrugged, nonchalantly. "You do it your way. I'll do it mine." He tapped the tip of my nose. "Well, now that we're done talking business. I'm off to see the apple of my eye."