Chapter Eight

I wanted to give Samara my cell phone number so I decided to go back to the ranch. I also wanted to tell her how I had finally made friends with the Lykáns. Again, I waited until I was sure almost all of the females were sleeping.

I was more careful this time. You would think I would be a little more confident since I had done it before but I wasn't. I was actually more afraid. I knew what would happen if I was caught crossing the river by one of the females.

I wasn't safe in the forest. Nor was I save as soon as crossed the river. I still had Elsa to worry about when I was at the ranch. I really didn't feel like getting into a fight with Elsa today. My mood was too seamless to have her miss it up.

I decided the best thing to do was to jump into the river. I thought maybe the water would dilute my scent. I took off my shoes before jumping in. No use in ruining them. I hide them under some brushwood. The water was even colder than the first time I had swim across. I started to wonder if werewolves could get frostbite when I got out and cold air started to make me shiver.

I tried running to dry my clothes but the wind only made me colder. My teeth were making so much noise that I thought for sure someone would hear me. When I could see the ranch house I slowed done a little, contemplating on what to do next. As I stood there shivering, I noticed a light on the second floor come on. Then after a couple of seconds I saw Samara waving frantically at me from the window.

I waved back, smiling. She put her hand up indicating me to wait. I gave her a thumbs up but wasn't sure if she could see me. She moved away from the window and didn't appear again for another five minutes. She dragged Titan to the window and pointed in my direction.

My heart started beating faster. I waved trying to act cool. He waved back before disappearing from the window. Samara signaled me to hold on again then moved away from the window too.

I sighed wondering how long I would have to wait again. I rubbed my arms trying to warm myself. I didn't work. The night breeze didn't help either.

The front door opened and I saw Samara run out. I wasn't ready for her jump through the air hug, so we both toppled over. She landed on me and I knew if I were a normal human it would have hurt. A lot.

"Why are you wet?" She asked still on top of me.

I pushed her off me gently and sat up. "I was trying to make my scent less noticeable. So I jumped into the river. Hopefully I won't catch a cold."

"Werewolves can catch colds?" She asked sitting up.

"I don't know. I'll find out tomorrow." I shivered.

"Titan can you get Jayla a blanket or something." I looked up noticing him for the first time. How hadn't I noticed him before? He was standing a couple of feet away from us wearing what seemed to be pajama bottoms and a tank top.

"You don't have to." I mumbled.

"Of course he doesn't have to. He wants to do it. Right, Titan?" She said, looking in his direction.

"Right." He answered.

Samara made a face at him before turning towards me completely. A stab of jealously rushed through me again. I hated feeling this way about my best friend. When she smiled at me guilt washed over me.

"Cristinah is going to be so mad that she missed you again. She was angry with Titan for not waking her up last time you were here. She left for Greece this morning. She's going to be gone for a whole month. It totally sucks. I'm going to be forced to hang out with Titan. Did you know that they actually have cattle here? I was so surprise. They even have horses. I rode one yesterday. It was so crazy. I never realized how big they were."