12. The Jeweller's Hands

The trip to the beach was already over, but nobody wanted it. The band's manager had called and said the guys were going to go on tour. They were excited to say the least and asked Athena if she could come with them. But she told them she couldn't because of work, and that was true too but it was mostly because of Alex's words. She couldn't go on tour for a couple months together with him, but she would miss everyone so much. She needed to get some things together first.

The guys and their girlfriends would leave on tuesday, but Breana would join later because of family issues. Athena would bring them to the airport. But Emile didn't like that she was always away because of her friends. "Why can't they just go by themselves? Their old enough?"

They were now sitting in front of the gate waiting to board. Everyone still half asleep since it was three in the morning. They were going to fly to Italy, there they would start the tour.

"I don't know what I'm gonna do without ya bunch" Athena sighed "Me life's so boring without yous"

"I know, no one can live without me" Jamie said with full pride

"Shat up, she'll be happy to take a break away from ya" Nick laughed

"I mean it I'm gonna miss you all so much"Athena spoke as she gave each a hug. At last, Alex.

"I can't believe yer going away for so long, make sure ya send me the list of yer favourite songs Al, ye still didn't do it"Athena demanded

"I promise, and I'll listen to every song ya send" Alex ensured her

She stood there waving goodbye while she watched their figures slowly disappear. Now she was back to her normal, boring life. On her way home she was still letting the whole situation sink in. The band would be back in a month for a week break. And that was the thing she looked out for the most. When she got back to her apartment it was already five, so she directly went back to sleep.

The morning came as if even the clouds have inner grins. Golden threads of morning light transformed the night into an other bright day.
Athena didn't wake up for a good five hours. She didn't have that much to do today so she decided to take it easy for a little while. She tried to open her eyes without being blinded by the sun as she forgot to close the blinds. Her phone suddenly chimed and she got a message from someone she had been expecting.

Landed safe and sound a couple hours ago, but didn't want to wake ya. Oh yes, I listened to a couple of yer recommendations, loved Want You So Bad. I'll send me list in a couple minutes
-Alex

That's good to hear, I just woke up. I'm glad ya love it. I'll be waiting for yours ;)
-me

Smiling like an idiot since he was the first person she had talked to that day. Athena stayed in bed for another half hour. Then she decided to start her day. Athena never liked that her apartment would be silent so she always played something in the background. Looking thru all the records she owned she found something. It was the vinyl "Humbug" she couldn't remember buying. Athena hadn't really always thought of the guys as big rockstars. So she decided to give it a listen since she hadn't really listened to their music.
Humbug has a mysterious flair, a little like Athena herself. She really liked the album. She took her time fully listening it out. Laying on her settee as the last song began to play.

You think excitement has receded then the mirror distracts
The logic of the trends quickly reaches and grasps
Handsome and faceless
And weightless, your imagination runs

These words sounded very familiar. She couldn't quite put her finger on it. It was speaking very close to her.

And now it's no one's fault but yours
At the foot of the house of cards
You thought you'd never get obsessed
You thought the wolves would be impressed

Then it began to sink in. "House of cards" was her relationship with Emile. "No ones fault but yours" is Emile constantly blaming everything on her. So that he never has to apologise. "You thought you'd never get obsessed. You thought the wolves would be impressed" she thought that in this particular relationship he would be different than in previous ones.

The inevitable's gather to push you around
Any other voice makes such a punishing sound
He became laughter's assassin
Shortly after he showed you what it was

Emile kills her laughter and her happiness in a very short time.

If you've a lesson to teach me
I'm listening, ready to learn
There's no one here to police me
I'm sinking in until you return
If you've a lesson to teach me
Don't deviate, don't be afraid
Without the last corner piece I can't calibrate
Let's get it ingrained

She now began to question everything even more. If it was actually a good thing that she got back together with Emile. Alex's words had once again a big effect on her, without him even knowing. "Is Alex actually right? This sounds like my relationship with Emile?"

Athena and Emile were planning on going out tonight. Their first date in a while. They were already back together for a while. Now everything was unsure. Emile would come pick her up. So she was getting ready now. Asking the same question over and over "Is it good that we're back together?" The answer was right in front with of her but she choose not to acknowledge it. Quickly she was snapped out of her thoughts by the shrilling sound of the bell.
When she open the door Emile was standing in front of her with an unpleasant face.

"Hi love, is summat wrong?" Athena asked

"No" he spat "Its just some douchebag in law school had spread some rumour around that i cheat on every chick I'm with"

"Well, that's completely true"she thought. She had met his ex one time. And she warned Athena about him. But they were still going great back then, so she had no worries.

"Are you almost ready? It's already late, and I need to get up early tomorrow" he asked impatiently

"Yeah almost, I'm coming in a minute" Athena answered

She quickly went back to take her stuff, and then shut the door. On the car ride to the restaurant Emile was blabbing over the dumb bets they made at his university. Athena wasn't listening to one word he said. She had an aggressive inner debate with herself.

"Athena?" Emile shouted as he noticed she wasn't listening. "Are you even listening?"

"Mm?" Athena asked unbothered "Oh yeah yeah. You were saying over that toilet bet?"

When they arrived it was yet seven. Athena had booked a table at a quite fancy place. As they were seated Emile took out his phone. He was texting. Athena noticed that he did not want to give her his attention so she just waited. After the waiter came to take their order he had put his phone away. After an hour long debate with herself she finally decided to say what might be the best for her.

"Emile I think we shouldn't be together anymore"