twenty three

coopers pov
5:30 pm

after the talk i had with my mom, i decided that i wanted a knew scenery. i wanted to go somewhere where no one knew me. so i found a small run down restaurant.

i ended up walking into, what looked like, a bar. it was small, quiet. it was a tiny bar that sat on the cut. i liked the vibe it instantly brought as i walked in.

"you seem to be underage." a older women stated as she held a small smile on her face.

the women seemed to be in her 50, 60's. she was older for sure, but she seemed sweet.

i walked up to the bar counter and took a seat.

"what would you like?" she asked. i glanced down at her name tag.

debra, it read.

"just a rootbeer. thank you."

"of course." debra started to grab a glass and fill it with ice and the rootbeer.

"thanks." i took a sip of the cold soda.

"can i ask something?" debra was stood in front of me still.

"yeah."

"your cheeks, there stained of what looks to be tears, and your eyes, they are blood shot red."

"i swear, i haven't been smoking anythi-" i started but she cut me off.

"no, sweetheart, of course not." she chuckled at me, "but you've been crying."

her statement took me by surprise. could she really tell?

"um, yeah. kind of a hard day."

"would you like to talk about it? you seem like you need someone."

i didn't really want to talk about my dad, but maybe getting something else off my chest wouldn't be so bad. maybe it would make me feel better.

"honestly, yeah, that would be great." i sent her a polite smile.

"so tell me, why is a pretty girl like you, crying?"

"well, recently, i moved back here, i lived here last summer, but i moved home with my dad for a while in the bahamas. he ended up kicking the bucket due to being an alcoholic, and so i was moved back. but last summer, i had met a boy, and you know, we started dating. i really fell in love with him. we did all the cliche things. all the cute relationship things, and i mean, i was really in love with him. but i was told that at the end of the summer, i had to move back with my dad if he stopped drinking, which he did. i never told, this boy, that i was moving until the day of. which is so horrible of me, but i couldn't find the right time, and i know that is shitty of me, but i had so many other things to worry about. like my mom, she was a problem. she was a big problem. but that's just an excuse. anyway, i ended things the day of and left. i didn't talk to him, or his friends, which are my friends as well, once i got there. which is also shitty. but recently, i'v been okay with them, it's just this one boy."

"you love him you said?"

"not just love, i think i'm in love with him."

"and you know for sure?"

"no. i thought i did. but now all we do it fight. i mean, nether of us can stand to be in the same place."

"do you think that, for you, it's just apart of being mad at someone else?"

"what do you mean?"

"are you mad at someone else? besides this boy."

i looked down at my fingers that were sat on my glass of rootbeer. "my dad."

"do you think you are taking that anger out from your dad, on him?"

i looked at debra and nodded. "yeah, yeah, i think so."

"have you ever heard of a soulmate?"

"all the time in movies."

"do you believe in it?"

"i mean, kind of. but there is no way he is my soulmate, he hates me."

"can i tell you something?"

i nodded again.

"your soulmate, it's not someone who comes into your life peacefully. it is someone who comes to make you question things, someone who changes your reality, somebody who marks up a before and after in your life. it is not the human being everyone has idealized, but an ordinary person, who manages to revolutionize your world in a second. that's a soulmate. and i don't want to tell you this boy is your soulmate by any means, but it's just something to think about."

i smiled at the thought off jj being my soulmate. not that i entirely believed that he was, it was the idea of him being it.

i loved jj. even though right now we both don't get along, and he wished he didn't have to see me, i loved him.

i loved the idea of being with jj again. being able to lay next to him on the beach and watch the stars, and being able to talk to him about pointless things, and being able to laugh and joke about random things. and being able to just sleep next to each other and hear his heartbeat as i laid my head on his chest.

i wanted to have that relationship again with jj.

"i have to go help another costumer, but if you need anything, i'm always working, cooper."

"wait, how do you know my name?"

debra smiled and shrugged before walking away to another person. i smiled as well and shook my head. she was definitely a weird lady, but she was sweet. i liked her.