seventeen

thursday 2:46 pm
coopers pov
camerons

i sat in the kitchen of my house eating what looked to be a birthday cake. i think it was rafes birthday yesterday but i had no idea.

i knew it wasn't wheezie's because hers happened this year already, and if it was sarah's she would have told me about. it wasn't wards either because rose would have sent a long nasty text about how i missed it, and rose's birthday was at the end of the year, so i came to the conclusion that it was rafe's. which meant that rafe was 22 years old now.

he was getting old.

he wasn't really but when i was younger, it was always a joke my dad would say when someone was older than 18. if they were 19 and older, 'they were getting old.' he would say.

i shoved another bite of cake into my mouth before wheezie came into the kitchen.

"have you seen anyone today? i feel like we've been abandoned." wheezie began as she grabbed a fork.

"i have not." i watched her shovel a piece of cake into her mouth as well. "i think everyone has disappeared."

"if only." wheezie rolled her eyes and smirked at me.

"what are your plans today?" i stood up from my seat and put my fork into the dishwasher, after, cleaning my hands in the sink.

"well, i have summer school homework to work on, so i was thinking of going to the bone yard and work down there. what do you think?"

"i think it's only a good idea, if you let me come. i would like to tan."

"of course. i'm probably going to leave in like 15, so be ready."

i jumped up and down in excitement and walked out of the kitchen. i raced up the stairs and grabbed my bathing suit. it was still damp from surfing yesterday with kie, pope and john b, but i didn't mind.

i quickly undressed and put it on, grabbing a towel and sun block, along with a hair band for later.

"damn, you're fast." wheezie said as we both walked out of our rooms.

"speedy fast." i agreed, winking at her.

wheezie and i walked back down stairs, grabbing our flip flops, and walking out of the door.

we both had decided on walking there because i didn't want to have to drive.

while walking, wheezie was carrying her back pack, so she was complaining about how heavy it was, while i was just taking in the warm sun.

the sun felt good on my skin. it felt like a hug honestly. like a big warm teddy bear was hugging me.

"cooper?"

"oh what? sorry. i was not paying attention."

"obviously."

"hey." i pushed wheezie's arm.

wheezie giggled then continued, "what i was saying before was, i'm glad you're back. it was pretty boring when you were gone. there was never much to do."

"well, good thing i'm back for good right?"

"definitely. i was so excited when i heard you were coming back. again, i'm sorry about you dad, but you don't even know how excited i was."

"i could only imagine." i giggled, "you really missed me, huh?"

"yes."

"well, i missed you too, wheezie."

—♡—

wheezie and i were spread out on the sand, her doing her summer school homework while i laid flat on my stomach.

the silence was definitely nice, but it seemed to quiet for us. i looked over at wheezie and saw her writing in a notebook. i grabbed my phone and started to play some music.

it was country music, not my first choice, but definitely not my last.

"so how come you are in summer school?" i randomly asked.

"i failed. never did my work." wheezie shrugged. "i thought dad would let me get out of summer school, but he said if i didn't go, he'd take my allowance."

"if you would have told me that earlier, i would have just given you my allowance all summer. it's not like i need it."

"but then you wouldn't have anything to bribe me with when you want me to shut up." wheezie chuckle and i shook my head.

"you're annoying."

"i know."

—♡—

"COOPER!" i heard.

i opened my eyes and faced the sound of the voice. rafe and kelce were walking up to me, topper following close behind. i could see all their bikes parked behind them. how did i not hear those?

"oh no." i said to wheezie, "what do you guys want?"

"kelce has a lovely question to ask you." rafe yelled again as they got closer.

i stood up from my position, rolling my eyes as i watched them walk up to me.

"well, go on."

"hi cooper." kelce said. his face was red, and he looked to be profusely sweating.

"hi kelce." i nodded at him.

"i was wondering if you wanted to go on a double date with me, topper and sarah?"

"no, i'm okay. thanks though. that's very sweet of you."

"what? why? it's not like you're dating that pogue anymore." rafe stepped in.

"you would be correct, i am not. but i don't want to."

"why?" kelce furiously asked.

"remember that time you pushed me and i cracked my head open? even ward saw. i don't really want anything to do with you, sorry."

"don't be a bitch, cooper." kelce murmured.

"i'm not being a bitch, i'm just stating that i, cooper, would like to have absolutely nothing to ever do with you. you are a coward." i shrugged to the three boys.

"fuck you." kelce spat.

"you wish." i stated, but that got kelce mad and he started to bolt at me.

i did not think that kelce would hurt me, but i ran. i ran over to rafe's bike and got on, fully scratching the shit out of my thigh before doing so.

"fuck." i said under my breath before starting the bike and driving away from topper, kelce and rafe.

wheezie was rafe's sister, so i didn't think they would do much to her, so leaving her there didn't worry me.