Suddenly Chapter 26

Chapter Twenty Six

Two Years Later

She stood in the crowd, she stood with me when I was all alone, and she stood hand in hand next to me outside on a rainy day. Havana was always by my side. She was turning out to be my pillar of strength. I was soon growing so attached to her that I couldn't wait to see her after a long day at work just to tell her all about my day.

Days turned to weeks, weeks turned to months and soon we were going steady. Being with her on the sofa was the best part of my day. Sipping a large mug of hot chocolate as we shared our day with each other, laughing uncontrollably at the stupid things we had done without other people noticing yet we felt comfortable telling each other about it.

I was letting her into the vault that only BE had been into. There was a vast chasm inside my chest that Havana was starting to fill, shovel by shovel she filled in the broken places, she covered and mended the hurt areas of my heart, and she had managed to stop the bleeding.

The patient has been finally been stabilized doctor, his BP, heart rate and pulse are normal, the bleeding has stopped.

She hadn't a clue at just what she was doing; she just went along with her day, being her bubbly self she carried on with her daily routine. She was my cardiologist, attending to my every need yet she was unaware of her actions. Day by day, she tended to my broken heart, changing the dressing on my wounded soul.

Everything with her felt illuminated and encompassing of warmth. The afternoons we spent on her porch, watching the sunset, just talking. Those moments were my medication; the dosages of those consultations were healing my deepest infliction's. Sweet kisses were the climax of our night together before I walked home on those warm summer nights. She made me feel better about myself; all those years of me feeling worthless and unwanted were finally behind me. I was with someone that made me feel like I meant something to her, I felt loved.

Still, on my walk home every night my thoughts would find its way back to BE, she was always going to be there, lingering in the depths of my heart and living in my subconscious and dreams. I couldn't fully let go of her yet I had to embrace the affection from Havana. Havana was good to me and she deserved to be loved back.

I didn't want to be unfair to Havana, she needed the best of me, she deserved that at the least, she was so good to me and we had invested a lot of time together.

Havana would come over to my home and cook for my family, she was amazing at cooking and baking, she was fast becoming a part of the family. Reece and Jesse loved her spongy oven baked cakes especially after dinner with a cup of tea and a good movie.

My family would huddle around in the lounge area, sipping our beverages as we watched a movie together. Havana would be cuddled close to me, feet up on the couch and under a warm fleece blanket. She fitted in with ease, there was absolutely no effort on her part, she was just being herself and it was faultless.

Havana sat at the middle, she radiated from the epicenter of our family, and she brought us closer together. As a man I felt that she was everything I wanted in a woman and a partner for life. She was presenting her case for her to be around on a more permanent basis. She was marriage material.

On one evening after I had just dropped Havana home, I returned home to find my dad sitting on his favorite couch nursing a short glass of whiskey. Dad enjoyed slow sipping whiskey; it was his drink of choice. He said it was a gentleman's drink.

Dad sat me down and asked me if I was considering getting married and if I had any candidates for the vacancy of wife. I knew dad adored Havana and he was suggesting that I lean towards her. I knew that I hadn't been with anyone as I had only been with Havana and we had grown fondly close to each other but my heart still desperately hung on to a shred of hope that BE would somehow return to me.

Marriage was sacred and the most beautiful of God's creations and ever since I laid eyes on BE I've only imagined myself marrying her. I hadn't given Havana a chance to permeate my thoughts on marriage but she was making it a struggle to ignore her effortless campaign for the potential wife of the year.

I was hoping for a miracle but the reality was that Havana was amazing as a girl friend and she was unquestionably an exemplary wife prospect. BE hadn't spoken a word to me in fifteen years and I hated to admit it but BE possibly resented me and hated me, evidently she hadn't wanted to speak to me and had told me so a few times. My memory quickly moved to a few years ago when I had called her to wish her for her birthday and she had told me that she doesn't know me before hanging up the phone. I was in a different place now, I had made progress in leaps and bounds since Havana had come around.

Time had gone by at full tilt, Havana and I had been dating for almost two years and it had been a smooth two years without any fights or disagreements. We really complimented each other and we supported each other in everything we did. It was a rare relationship which was so different to all the couples around us. We'd witness and hear of our friends arguing or having major and minor disagreements but Havana and I had none of that.

I was deep in it, this whirlpool swirled and I was pulled in without resistance. It's the way she makes me feel, I adored the high she gave me, doses of her made me weak at the knees and swollen hearted, I didn't want the trip to end. There was only one way that I could make this an enduring entity and that was to marry her.

I knew that marrying Havana would make dad tremendously delighted. It was the right thing to do; the time had come for me to settle.