25

Eugene looked over at his, apparently, father. He'd finally broken down and begged for forgiveness a day ago and been given water by a cold-hearted child and now he was sitting in his cell silently. Quirin was also silent, and Eugene hadn't seen Demanitus since he was dragged out by the brat.

The door opened and he looked over to see Varian walking into the dungeon. "Good news, you're getting out of there today." He said cheerfully.

"...Why?" Eugene said warily.

"So you ALL can witness the fall of Corona!" He chirruped happily. "You'll be forced to watch, helpless to stop the destruction!"

"Varian..." Quirin looked at him. "Please...don't do this..."

Varian ignored him. "Once we have everything ready, I'll send Cassandra and Andrew to come and get you all." He turned and walked out. "Until then, look forward to a show!"

Eugene clenched his fists. "VARIAN!" He yelled furiously. The door shut and he gripped the bars, struggling with his black rock cuffs. "No..."

--

Rapunzel was silent. She had been let out of the cage to get a bath, which Cassandra volunteered to give her. "Just like old times, huh?" She said mockingly as she washed her long hair.

"Cass..." She looked at her. "I...I swear, I...I didn't know...I didn't ever want to hurt you. I only knew that she took me, I didn't know—" She winced as Cassandra pulled on her hair a bit.

"The only reason you're not dead is because Varian wants you alive." She said venomously. "You stupid flower." She loosened her hold and went back to washing her hair and rinsing it out.

Rapunzel went silent, tears slipping down her cheeks. What had Varian and Zhan Tiri been telling her? Why did she hate her so much? Was it more than those statues? She wanted so badly to ask, but but clearly Cassandra wasn't in a talking mood.

Her hair was left alone and Cassandra started on washing her body. She paused at her hand and smiled wryly. "Should I say 'congratulations'?" She gestured to the ring. "Fitzherbert, huh? I gotta say, I still don't think he's a good match for you. Then again, he's a prince, you're a princess." She dropped her hand back into the water and continued to clean her.

"What are you talking about?" Rapunzel frowned.

"Oh, right. You were out for that conversation." Cassandra shrugged. "Well, apparently Varian found out from the King here that ol' 'Flynn Rider' is his son, sent away before the big moon wave."

"Oh." Rapunzel said, feeling a bit numb.

"You'll have to put that armor back on when we're done here. We don't have any clothes in your petite size." Cassandra stood up and went to get a towel.

"...Right." Rapunzel nodded.

"Didn't you have a dress when you got here?" She asked, coming over with the towel.

"I...left it in the hot-air balloon. That's where I put on my armor." Rapunzel admitted.

"Bet Fitzherbert enjoyed the show." She smirked and pulled Rapunzel out of the tub to wrap her in the towel.

"He didn't even look until I was done!" Rapunzel said, flustered.

"Alright." Cassandra shrugged and dried her off. "Put on the armor and then I'll remove the towel."

Rapunzel sighed and started to sing.

"Flower, raise your vine.
Lift your spirit free.
Dance 'tween earth and sky.
For everyone to see.