13

Cassandra looked out the front window at Varian, who was talking to someone she couldn't see. "So...can we not see his mentor?" She asked, looking at Andrew.

"Not yet, no. He said she needs more strength." Andrew said, whittling a flute for himself.

"And his mentor is really the Zhan Tiri?" She looked out again.

"Apparently. He just calls her 'Madam Tiri', though." Andrew blew dust off the flute and tried it out, playing Varian's song.

"So...where do you come in?" She asked.

"I'm from Saporia. My people were crushed by Corona, and we intend to get revenge and rebuild on the ashes of the kingdom. Varian is going to help us destroy it once he masters his powers." He chuckled. "I mean, the kid literally changed an entire kingdom into Mer and sank the kingdom itself beneath the waves in another life. That moonstone is powerful."

"So...you're helping him for his powers?" She asked. "How is that different from the King?"

"Because, Cassandra, I'm helping him with his quest before he helps me with mine. I scratch his back, he scratches mine. I'm not going to force him at sword-point to use his powers and give him nothing but chains in return." Andrew explained. "It's a mutual arrangement."

"Okay..." She nodded, looking back out at him.

"He's fine." Andrew assured her. "So, I notice he turned your armor off right now."

"Yeah, he shrank it down to just this bracelet." Cassandra held up her left wrist.

"Maybe I should get one." Andrew chuckled. "I'll have to ask him later. For now, I'm more interested in you."

"Yeah?" Cassandra lowered her hand, blushing a bit. "I'm kind of interested in you, too."

--

"She is a very curious one. Why did you decide to bring her with us?" Madam Tiri asked curiously.

"Because I couldn't bear the thought of her being forced into that stupid dress again. Besides, she'll be a great Dark Knight." Varian grinned.

"Dark Knight?"

"When I raise the Dark Kingdom from the sea, I intend to become its new ruler. It's only right for the moonstone in human form to rule the kingdom that worships it, isn't it?" Varian smiled. "I'll make sure my father never suffers again, and that mad Dark King will be locked away in the cell he put me in."

He looked over his shoulder. "The Dark Kingdom and New Saporia will be allies, and never have to fear being destroyed by anyone."

"Such big dreams. I'm so proud of you." Madam Tiri giggled.

Varian smiled brightly. "How much further to the Spire?"

"Oh, a few days. Don't worry, you're making good time." She assured him.

They rode on until they reached a river and he stopped so the horse could get some water. Cassandra got out and Varian raised an eyebrow at Cassandra adjusting her tunic a bit. Andrew came out after her looking like the cat that caught the mouse.

"What?" He grinned. "We're adults."

Varian shrugged. "Get what water you need to drink, and then we'll move on." He walked over to the river and held out a hand, using black rocks to form a bridge over it.

"Isn't there a road to the Spire?" Cassandra asked.

"Yes, but this is more direct and cuts our time down, she said." Varian said as Andrew carried their water jug over to fill it with water.