23

Demanitus made his way through the castle and adjusted his coat as he walked. He'd gotten some new clothes because Shorty's wasn't too his liking, though he'd chosen to leave the old man's beard alone. He certainly got a bath, though. This wasn't an ideal body, but he'd been living in monkeys ever since his death so he really shouldn't be picky.

He stopped at Rapunzel's room and knocked politely. "Rapunzel?"

"Yes, come in!" She called.

He opened the door and looked inside. "I wanted to tell you—what the jungle?!"

She looked down at him from where she was dangling. "I, uh...was practicing my plant magic." She said, before swinging on a vine and landing in front of him. "Is it done?"

He nodded. "It's done. We can leave as soon as you're ready."

Rapunzel nodded. "I'll go tell Eugene, then. We'll leave now."

Demanitus nodded. "Then, I will be waiting by the balloon when you are ready." He headed out of the room.

Rapunzel looked at the vines around her room, then at the paintings she'd done of Varian, both in Mer form and human form, and left the room with a determined expression on her face.

--

Eugene and Demanitus watched as Rapunzel hugged her parents goodbye and then she came over to join them. "Are you ready?" He asked her.

"As I'll ever be." She said grimly, stepping in. Demanitus closed the door and started the fire to lift them up into the air.

The balloon soared over the land, and Rapunzel looked around at the black rocks that littered her kingdom from their mad chase to the Spire. She saw where the circus must've been, a black, jagged shape below them a testament to Varian's increased power. She gripped the edge of the basket that held them and looked forward, towards the Dark Kingdom.

Eugene took her hand and gently kissed it, the ring on her finger glinting in the sunlight. "We'll make it through this." He assured her. "We always do."

She smiled sadly and pulled him close. "I hope so."

"I won't let him kill you." Eugene promised, holding her tightly. "Not without taking me with you."

She nodded, burying her face in his shoulder. Then she pulled back and let go of him before she stood back and closed her eyes as she started to sing, her hand unfastening her dress.

"Flower, raise your vine.
Lift your spirit free.
Dance 'tween earth and sky.
For everyone to see."

The vines wrapped around her body, covering her up as she let her dress fall to the basket floor, and then it glowed as Eugene saw her braided hair fall loose and then retie itself into a high-braid bound by vines

"Stretch your budding leaves.
Reach out where I decree."

Over her vine bodysuit, yellow flower petals sprouted from her body and formed armor with a petal-like skirt. Dhe held out her covered hand and a vine whip formed, which she grabbed tightly as a yellow circlet appeared around her forehead.

"Flourish with my light.
For everyone to see."

The symbol of Corona, the sun, formed on her collar over the bodysuit as she finished singing and then the glow ceased.

"For all to see."

After she finished, she looked herself over and nodded with satisfaction.

"...Whoa." Eugene breathed.