27

True to his word, every prisoner but Rapunzel was moved to the dungeons. Rapunzel was put in her room with black rocks replacing her door and blocking her window. She glared out at Varian as he stood by her "door". "Do you want something?" She asked aggressively.

"I'll give you this, your will is strong." He walked over to her and shoved her. She gasped as she fell onto her bed. "But your body is weak. If you behave, you can have a decent meal." He turned to go. "Attempt to escape, and you'll be put in the throne room just like back at home."

She crossed her arms over her chest. "You don't think I can use magic right now?"

He smirked. "Try one. Anything."

She frowned and focused.

"Flower, gleam and glow,
Let your power shine
Make your—uhn!"

Her body grew shaky and she curled up, her hair ceasing its glow.

"Magic takes a lot out of you. And you're in no state to use any, especially since you had to put your armor on. Good thing we're at your home and you can remove your armor and wear one of your dresses." He walked over to the door and the black rocks parted for him to walk through, closing again once he was on the other side. "So, be a good girl and maybe you'll get a treat." He walked off.

"'Be a good girl and maybe you'll get a treat'. Can you believe him, Pascal?" She looked at the chameleon that had hitched a ride in her hair as she was taken to her room.

The chameleon stuck out his tongue.

Rapunzel looked over at the door, which had been replaced by black rock bars. "You can fit through there...think you can steal me something small to get my strength back on the sly?"

The chameleon saluted and she set him down to let him scurry out, his color changing to blend with the floor.

She ran over and looked out to see if Varian noticed and was relieved to see he didn't even look down to see what the skittering sound was. Maybe Mers didn't have advanced hearing like she thought.

--

Pascal had a mission and he was determined to see it through. He moved past the fish-human named Varian that was walking away from his Rapunzel's room and hurried down the hall, making sure he stayed blending in. There was a problem, though. Once he left the rug, he would have to change color. He decided to stay put until the Varian had passed him by.

"Oh, hey, Ruddiger." He heard the Varian say as a bundle of fur ran across the floor and into his arms. "Where have you been, huh? Exploring? I still need to do some things, so I'll play later, okay?" He set the raccoon down and walked on.

"But, I wanted to play..." Ruddiger pouted. "Varian's always so busy..."

Pascal swallowed nervously and slowly crept off the rug, changing his body's color to match it as he did. The last thing he wanted was to be spotted by the Varian's--

"Oh, hi!"

Oh no.

Ruddiger sniffed at Pascal and smiled. "You smell like the Rapunzel girl!"

"Uh...yeah. Can you...not tell your Varian that I'm here?" He asked nervously.

"Varian?" Ruddiger looked over at the fish-human as he turned a corner. "He's too busy to play. Hey, I know! WE can play!"

"I can't play, I have a special miss—ahh!" Pascal dodged a pounce and ran for it.

"Hey, come back here!" Ruddiger ran after him.

They darted around the corner and Pascal changed colors at rapid speed to avoid being seen. Ruddiger barreled after him wildly and the Varian let out a cry of surprise as he was nearly bumped into.