20

Lance hummed to himself as he cooked breakfast the next morning. Varian had been caring for Adira himself all night, with them alternating between lounging in the pool together and Varian helping Adira to a bed to rest for the few hours her nightmares from the harrowing circus experience had inflicted on her. He really hoped that his delicious cooking would help her feel more comfortable.

Luckily, the healing spell had removed any bruises or wounds Adira may have had – Lance had tried not to look at anything but her face, which was slightly bruised, and her hands and neck as he unchained her. His grip on the spoon he was stirring with tightened as he recalled the way she'd clung to him so desperately when he pulled her out of the tank. His poor, strong beauty. He couldn't imagine the trauma she must've suffered at the hands of those monsters.

--

"It's going to be hard walking for a little bit and running will especially be difficult. But, in time, you'll be able to do all that again and even dance." Varian said as he handed Adira the black rock staff he'd used for so long.

"And fight?" She asked, accepting the staff and slowly using it to push herself off the bed. "Can I do that, too?"

He nodded. "I did."

She smiled. "And you didn't have any prior knowledge." He reached up and rubbed his head. "Your father would be so proud of you if he could see you now. Well, not about the killing part, but everything else."

"He deserved it for hurting you." Varian said, nodding firmly.

She pursed her lips and then looked towards the door. "Something...smells nice."

"That would be Lance's cooking." Varian grinned. "You were too out of it to eat last night, so he's making sure you have something really good for our last meal before we set out."

"So...this is it, then?" She looked at him. "We're going to the Dark Kingdom today?"

"I'm going to restore it, and that Mad King will be locked away." Varian nodded. "Thank you for all your assistance up until now. I hope I can count on you in the future, too."

"Well, in the water, you can." She said, smiling wryly. "On land...it may take some time."

"That's fine." Varian nodded, then offered her his hand. "Let's go see if we can steal a sample before breakfast."

She took his hand and used the staff to help her walk out of the bedroom with him.

--

Lance looked up as he heard the sound of footsteps accompanied by Varian's telltale black rock staff and walked over to the door. "Ohhh no, you don't. Breakfast is soon and I don't want you spoiling your appetites!"

"Come on, Lance." Varian pouted.

"No, Varian. I—no—stop giving me that—fine, one sample." He went in and handed them both a roll. "Now, go lounge in the pool or something for a little while."

Varian chirruped and led Adira away, the two of them eating their rolls.

"So...this plan of yours." She said as they stepped out into the garden, where the black rock statues still remained in the same state as yesterday. "With Corona and Saporia and the Sun Princess..." She walked over to the statue of Rapunzel. "Are you sure you want to do this?" She looked at him.

"Yes." He walked over to look at the statue as well. "It's our destiny to fight, even if I didn't want to do it to free Madam Tiri."

"Hm." She looked to the side. "Destiny, huh? Well, I suppose your reasons are as good as anyone's. I'm just concerned that you're rushing into things." She looked at him and reached up a shaky hand to cup his cheek. "You're still so young. Too young to be fighting. You've grown so much, but I can see the effect it's having on you. Your eyes have lost the innocence they had that day."