18

Since he had been told by his mentor to hold off on using his powers to avoid exhausting himself, Varian camped out in the mansion pool for the next few days and studied books that his new "lackies" had found for him about alchemy, his tail lazily drifting behind him as he turned the pages and chirruped from time to time.

Though his powers had become known to everyone, only the most trusted knew of his true Mer form. Cassandra and Andrew stood guard to keep away any curious visitors so he could read in peace and Madam Tiri leaned against the pool wall next to him, also in her Mer form.

"I've learned how to control the black rocks, how to heal, how to take life and how to control water." He said thoughtfully as he read. "The rocks are earth element, water is, well, water...with those combined, I should be able to raise the Kingdom to land again. And my healing ability has to be the key to restoring the people of the Dark Kingdom."

"Interesting deduction." She said thoughtfully. "Perhaps you should try turning someone into a Mer to see if it will work the other way around first."

"I'm still not sure how that happened. I don't know if the healing power would've altered them." Varian leaned on the book with a sigh. "And, even if I was right, I'm not sure about the incantation I need."

"Look inside yourself." She reminded him. "But, not today. Today, you are going to rest and not use any magic. It would not do for you pass out from exhaustion like when you created that bridge."

He nodded. "I know. Especially since I'm planning such a big spell. I'll be fine, though."

She nodded, then pulled herself up to sit on the ledge around the pool. "You have come so far, my student. However, I worry that your arrogance will lead to your downfall. If you make one small mistake, you could end up beaten and dragged back to Corona to be used as a weapon." She reminded him.

"I know." He nodded. "I'm playing it safe, that's why I'm resting now." He grinned up at her. "They won't get me."

She smiled and rubbed his head affectionately before stroking the streak in his hair. "I sure hope not. They might torture you if they do."

"I'll be okay." He assured her gently.

"Varian!" Lance called. "I made you some cake!"

"Cake!" Varian chirruped happily, his conversation forgotten for the moment as the man set down a plate with a piece of cake on it. He eagerly dug in, his tail swishing happily in the water.

Lance smiled adoringly and sat down to watch him eat.

--

Rapunzel had gathered her favorite thugs (besides Hookhand, who was on tour apparently), Eugene, Pascal and Max to join her and Vigor on this trip. Madame Canardist didn't appreciate Rapunzel "borrowing Vigor", but a good amount of money changed her mind – as long as he was returned when Rapunzel was finished with him.

"So...you're the Lord Demanitus?" Rapunzel asked as they gathered around a fire for the night.

"Yes." The monkey nodded. "Before I would pass away, I swapped bodies with this chimp and preserved myself...though, it is...difficult to fight the creature's instincts. However, I have been waiting for the day you would come to me, sundrop."

Rapunzel awkwardly grabbed her long hair. "If you're Lord Demanitus, why can't you just tell me what the final spell is?"

"I...do not remember." He admitted.

"And here I was hoping you could be my mentor, like Zhan Tiri is for Varian." She said, looking rejected.

"I apologize. All I can do is...show you through the maze. The rest...is up to you." Demanitus said grimly.