Night of The Comet 2

September 10th.

Night of The Comet.

“So, will you be at the comet tonight?”

Leslie asked Cherith as they walked to their next class that afternoon and Cherith shrugged.

“I probably might. This comet hasn’t been seen for over 140 years. It’s basically something you can’t see except once in a lifetime. So, of course I want to be there. Tell my children and grandchildren about how marvelous it looked!”

Leslie snorted as they bumped into people in the busy hallway, her dark brown hair in a ponytail and her hazel eyes watching the multitude of people rushing to classes before the bell rang.

“It’s not exactly special, you know? It’s just an excuse to hangout in the town square and eat good food.”

Cherith chuckled.

“Well if it isn’t impressive I’ll just head into the Grill and eat away my disappointment at how, profoundly disappointed I was at the comet. Will you be there?”

Leslie sighed.

“Sure. Mom’s home for a while and so we’re spending the evening together. You could join us. I don’t think I want to hear another of her 'back when I was your age' stories anymore. It’s driving me mad!”

Cherith laughed.

Leslie’s parents were both professors at UCLA, the school Leslie was actually looking to attend.

She might act like a typical teenaged brat, but she loved and missed her parents a whole lot of the time they weren’t around.

She lived with her grandmother.

Cherith sighed, a slightly wistful look in her eyes at the thought of her parents.

Well… both set of parents, that is.

“Well, we just might run into each other anyways so…”

The 2 friends entered into their class just in time for the bell to ring.

Cherith shivered slightly in the town square that evening, wrapping her arms around herself as the chilly air blew around that night.

The sky was dark and slightly ominous looking as everyone gathered all around the town square, waiting for the comet to pass by.

Cherith wasn’t exactly feeling too good either.

She knew she wasn’t sick, but the hairs on her body were slight raised… apprehensive.

Okay, maybe she was coming down with something then.

She walked up to her friend whom she spotted with her mother.

Leslie honestly didn't look like her mother, but when they both smiled, it was like sunshine on a rainy day.

If Leslie's mum still looked like this, it showed she was going to age well. Like fine wine.

Leslie spotted her and waved her over.

“Hi Mrs. Greene. Good to see you again.”

Sara Greene smiled at her.

“Good to see you again dear. And what have I told you about calling me Mrs. Greene? That’s my mother-in-law.”

She joked and Cherith laughed, nodding.

“Right, sorry Sara.”

“Here, let me.”

Leslie spoke, helping Cherith light her candle and the trio turned to stare at the now dark sky.