chapter fourteen

Song suggested: Sad playlist maybe?

    "What are we?"

    Clay was in shock. Only because that was the original question Clay had planned to ask George.

    "What do you mean?" Clay asked. He wanted to make sure George's reasoning for asking was the same as his.

    "I mean, we're super close, we've kissed, we've hung out, we've spent a lot of time with each other. So, what are we? I mean, look at us right now Clay." George replied.

    George's nerves were out of the roof. What if Clay didn't really mean all of it? I know he's said he did, but he still didn't know how the dirty blonde beside him would answer his question.

    "You could be my boyfriend if you want," Clay smiled. His heart started to beat faster and faster as he didn't know what George would say.

    They both had butterflies in their stomachs.

    George was in shock. He had taken a second to process what Clay had just said to him. Then he realized it. He had basically been asked out.

    "I'd love that," George said as he looked up at Clay.

    Tears were no longer falling down his face, he was happy. They both sat next to each other in the same position for what seemed like a long time before Clay broke the comfortable silence.

"Wanna stay over?" He asked.

"Cant, my stuff is at Karl's." George replied. He wished he could stay, but he didn't have anything to wear the next day.

"Borrow my stuff again, i don't mind," Clay answered.

George figured if Clay didn't mind, neither would he. So he stayed. He decided he should probably text Karl and let him know he's staying over here, but then realized he had a missed text from his mom. He read it after giving Clay a concerned glance.

mom
Hey honey, i know
you probably don't want
to come back for a while.
I understand, i just
wanted to make sure
you're safe. Love you.
4:34pm

George replied with a quick 'i'm safe mom, love you too.' before returning to Clays arms. He could stay there forever. Clay gently held George's face in his hands. He admired the boy right in front of him. Clay really liked George, and maybe there was love somewhere too. He wasn't entirely sure yet, but he was sure there was. Clay swore he heard something downstairs, but ignored it and kept his attention all on George.

Then his door swung opened.

    "Clay, we called your name about 10 ti-," A voice yelled. It came off slightly aggressive. "Clay, what the h-?"

    "Dad, i promise it's not like that," Clay said in a hurry. He quickly removed his hands from George's face and moved away from him.

    "Are you sure? Because i'm pretty sure what i just saw means there is something going on that i don't know." His dad replied.

Clay stared back at George. He couldn't tell what the brunette was feeling, and he couldn't tell what he was feeling himself. Clay just didn't know what to say. I mean, god his parents had just walked into his room with him and George about to kiss. Well, at least that was Clays intention in that moment. George looked uncomfortable. Clay broke the connection between their eyes.

"Look, he doesn't mean something like that to me dad. He's just a friend. Plus, why were you even barging in my room in the first place? Haven't you heard of privacy?" Clay shouted.

George didn't know why to do. He turned his attention to the bedroom floor as he listened to the conversation. 'Just a friend'? No. No, Clay was just trying to get his parents off of his back. George knew he didn't mean it like that, but that hurt dude. Last time George had heard those words was when his ex girlfriend had said it around her friends every time they hung out. The reason the two split was because his girlfriend was tired of hiding it and didn't want to be embarrassed by dating him. So, she dumped him.

Maybe he wasn't that into the relationship because he was gay, but he didn't know that yet. He generally cared about her. George was honestly scared that Clay was doing that here, and that he was embarrassed to be with him. He wondered if he would start doing this with people at school too. Surely not. He hoped not at least.

Finally the yelling stopped. It was peaceful once again. George made eye contact with Clay, he had tears in his eyes, but only because of what Clay had said and what his thoughts turned the words into. Clay pulled George into a tight hug and laid his head on top of George's.

"I'm sorry," Clay whispered.

    George kept quiet and stayed in the position he was in. He shook his head, rejecting the apology. Clay shouldn't be sorry.

    "I think i'll go Clay. I'm sorry, i'll see you tomorrow." George whispered back.

    Clay nodded before kissing George on the forehead goodbye. Clay gave George a way to get out of his window and George left. Then, it hit him. Clay was his only way home. He didn't want to bother Clay and go back so he decided to walk to Karl's. His home wasn't that far from Clay's so he could care less. Yeah, it was stupid to walk, but George rather walk than feel awkward to go back. George pulled up directions on his phone and used them to get to Karl's home.

    After about 10 minutes, George arrived to the place. He walked in and went straight to Karl's room. He gave his best friend's parents a slight wave before entering.

    Karl could see the weird but upset look on his best friend's face. Something had definitely happened.

    "Hey Georgie!" Karl spoke. "Are you okay? You told me you were staying over. Did something happen over there?"

    George fell beside Karl onto the bed and sat in the comfort of his friends arms. He wasn't crying, but he was sure close to it. George knew what Clay had said and that he didn't mean it, but it was bothering him so much. George was finally able to get out words without bursting into tears and explained everything that happened. Karl understood things well and definitely knew what George was talking about. He knew how much his ex girlfriend had screwed him up and how it effected George.

    "George, don't overthink it," Karl spoke in an attempt to help George. "You know he cares about you, he even admitted to it. You know he wouldn't ignore you or say anything like that unless he needed to keep you out of trouble."

    George knew Karl was right, but his thoughts had other ideas.

    "I know, but everyone told me the same things about-," George said before being cut off.

    "You don't need to finish that sentence. I know she was like that, but that doesn't mean Clay is. Don't stress it, but also don't put your heart and soul into this either. Take it slow." Karl spoke softly.

    George began to sob softly. He could barely hold it back now. Eventually, it was late enough for the two to drift off to sleep with George in Karls arms.

(1219 Words)
—————————————————————-
hi besties. <3
i'm probably going to either shorten or stop doing these messages just so it doesn't add reading time to the book, but i may keep doing them because i love you guys.
p.s. sorry if this chapter sucks, the next one is more juicy, i promise. i had to watch quackity's lore stream ofc and then Karl went live so. plus i couldn't think of more ideas for the end. :(

stay safe. you are loved. :)