DT ch. 20

So I know some of you readers thought the last chapter I wrote was very random, but I promise you that after reading this chapter, it makes more sense :)

 ****************************************************************************************************

~ Chapter 20 ~

“Tori! Let’s go on da choo-choo train togeder!” Lexi yelled over at me. 

“Be careful girls,” Mom warned in a soft tone. I smiled up at her, my face splattered with frosting from my birthday cake. Only being five, and given permission to eat any sweets, I of course, used this opportunity to stuff my face. Mom laughed lightly as she wiped my face with a wet napkin. The train behind me rang signaling its arrival. I hugged my mom’s leg before I ran off toward the train.

“Let’s sit in da front!” Lexi announced once I had reached her.

The train rang, “Tori!”

“Tori!” it rang again.

“TORI!” My body jerked forward as my eyes snapped open. Just a dream, just a dream. Logan was standing in front of me with a hand on my shoulder, steadying me. Did I really just zone out?

“Tori?” a voice emerged from the hospital bed in front of me.

“Lexi?” She had woken up. I drew in a deep breath as relief flooded my body. I wouldn’t be able to stand the pain if she’d departed.

“Where are you?” Lexi’s voice started to grow panicked. Her hands were slightly trembling from my absence. I quickly shifted my body forward so she could see me better. 

“I’m right here sis.” I held my hand out and grasped hers in mine. She looked in my eyes for a good minute before she shut her eyes and returned to a peaceful sleep. Alex was across from me on the opposite side of the bed holding Lexi’s free hand. He had small bags over his eyes; I could tell he was as equally worried as I was. He studied Lexi’s tranquil face before he looked up at me. 

“We need to talk,” was all he said as he kissed the top of Lexi’s head and exited the room holding the door open, gesturing for me to follow. When I was out of the room the door shut making a clamorous noise that filled the silent and still hallway. 

“What’s going on?” I questioned Alex. His face expressed a mix of emotions: angry, sad, and focused. Something was definitely wrong.

“I found a hole in the window.” I would have laughed out loud if it weren’t for the near death of Lexi. 

“So,” I prompted, “you broke the window?”

Alex started pacing, “It wasn’t just any hole. It was one a bullet would have made.” I took in a sharp breath.

“Someone’s trying to kill my sister?” I asked in disbelief. Someone was trying to freaking kill my sister. My breathing grew short as I started hyperventilating.

“Tori? Are you ok? You look a little pale. Sit down,” he ordered me. I took a seat in a chair next to Lexi’s door.

“There’s no bullet wound in her though. Why didn’t they shoot her then?” I continued.

“If she’d gotten shot then the police would be on their case. My theory is that they didn’t want blood on their hands so they aimed at her shoes hoping to make it look like an accident,” Alex said deep in thought still pacing back and forth.

“Who would want to do this?” My mood of disbelief quickly changed to anger. I could feel my hands shaking and my temperature rising. 

“Actually I don’t care about who did it, I just know I’m gonna rip their throats out,” I said. My voice had lowered threateningly into a menacing growl.

“Woah there Tiger,” Logan’s smooth voice rang through the hall. He stepped out from the hospital room and put a reassuring arm around my shoulder. “Don’t get so worked up, we’ll find out who did this.”

How can they remain so dang calm? For Pete’s sake! My sister almost flipping died! Why is he comforting me? No one should be concerned about me!

“I booked a flight down to the Texas HQ tonight,” Logan broke the silence. “I’m gonna use their system to hopefully get some info.”

“Okay. I need to get home and sort out those papers Tom sent us. Alex, you stay here with Lexi,” I instructed. Alex nodded his head before disappearing back into Lexi’s room. Logan kissed my forehead and made his way to the parking lot.

  Suddenly a high pitched whistle reverberated to the right of me. It sounded like someone was tapping on glass. What the hell was that? As I made my way to the source of the noise, a dark red liquid spilled on the floor. Blood. I could smell the sickening odor of it permeate the air. I could detect it every time I was on an assignment; I could recognize that stench anywhere. 

The blood on the floor came from around the corner of the hallway. My instincts heightened three fold as I laid my back against the wall. Always being prepared, I snatched my favorite blade out from my boots and held it tightly ready to make the kill. As a silent echo of footsteps got closer and closer to me, I raised my blade higher and higher. A shadow creeped out from around the corner as the body revealed itself. Without comprehension my blade came down, quick like a snake, and came into contact with his shoulder. A satisfying ripping noise occupied my ears as more blood washed out onto the floor.

****************************************************************************************************

yes, yes I know! It’s another cliffhanger! I had very little time to write recently so I thought i’d post this up now rather than having you guys wait another week for me to write a little more :) 

COMMENT, VOTE, FAN!!!! -Stephy