Chapter 7

Brett and Eddy were gradually getting used to their new lives with their bodies switched. Brett obviously was better at this since for him it was like his second round. During the day when they were awake, Eddy visibly appeared more stressed out and unhappy about the Switch than Brett was, so Brett took on the role of comforting Eddy, trying to be his rock so that Eddy could feel grounded.

But Brett had a secret. Since he woke up from his coma, he had been scared of going to sleep. He would kiss Eddy goodnight and pretend to fall asleep before Eddy did because that's how things were before the Switch. In reality, Brett was wide awake and he lay listening to Eddy fall asleep. He would then focus on the sound of Eddy's breathing and try to stay awake for as long as possible because he didn't want to dream.

In his dream, Brett was always drowning. He was in the water and he could see Eddy's body in front of him. He could only see his body from the neck down and Brett was glad about that.

"Eddy has his head above water, good, he can breathe."

Brett didn't care that he was underwater and couldn't breathe, he was just glad Eddy was safe.

Then he would come to a realisation that would terrify him.

No, I can't leave Eddy, he'll be devastated..! I can't do that to him..!!

And so he tried to get his head above the water but his limbs wouldn't move and he realised that if he can't get himself above water he will...

Brett would wake up gasping for air. At least Eddy was usually in his deep sleep and wasn't woken up by him.

He was upset that this dream would frighten him every time. He was upset that he was having a near-death experience every night and it didn't warrant him a switch-back. He must have thought in his subconscious that there would be some kind of reward for enduring such a fright and Brett desperately wanted that reward, to have his spirit put back into his own body and the same for Eddy.

Brett didn't want to tell Eddy about the dreams he'd been having because he didn't want to add to Eddy's stress.

Apart from searching online for information about body switching (which he had been unsuccessful to date), Brett had also been reading up on dreams and found that perhaps his sleep was too light and therefore he was more prone to dreaming. So Brett was pretty desperate to find a way to get some deep sleep.

So it didn't take long for Brett to suggest Eddy about using the mirror. He was cautious about bringing up the subject, as Eddy seemed to display an emotion almost like jealously that Brett had spent so much time with "the other Eddy" in his headspace while he was in a coma. This confused Brett because as far as he was concerned, they were the same person, but at the same time, he could imagine that from Eddy's perspective it wasn't.

"Look, I fully understand if you decide you don't like using a mirror and if so, I won't suggest it again. But I think I may like it and I want to try it if you are open to the idea... just once, without judgement ?"

Eddy frowned and his reply was full of scepticism.

"...So this was something you did with the other Eddy?"

Brett signed.

"Look.... I was in a coma. I was probably dreaming all sorts of weird stuff. And yes, you were in my dream, Eddy. As far as I'm concerned, it's still you. And for the record, it was you that first started using the mirror."

"What!?! What sick stuff were you making me do in your head ??

"...Look, I'm sorry, Eddy, you weren't doing anything sick if that's what you want to call it. I was. I first saw you talking to yourself in the mirror, you said it was comforting because it felt like I was talking to you. I was the sicko who took it a step further and kissed myself in the mirror because I could actually see you while I kissed someone, not myself like when I kiss you now."

".. none of that sounds sick at all."

"I never said it was sick Eddy... you did."

"OMG.. Brett, I'm so sorry. I'm just messed up in my head with all this.. I'm missing you physically and then getting jealous over what went on in your head during your coma which is so unfair to you..."

"... It's okay. I understand. Look, as far as I'm concerned, there isn't a separate Eddy in my head, okay? It's just you."

"..Okay.. So what's this business with the mirror?  There's obviously more to it..?