Chapter 3

"OMG... Eddy, we need to find out which parts are still ourselves and which parts aren't"

"Yeah, Brett... I think you're thinking what I'm thinking.. we need to check the most important stuff first..."

"Yeah Eddy... we better go get our violins."

--------------------------------------------

The boys rushed to their practice room where they kept their violins.

Eddy (in Brett's body) naturally reached for his own violin case, then stopped and turned to Brett (in Eddy's body).

"Um... which violin should I use ?"

"Huh?  Oh... sh*t..."

"I don't mind if you play mine... but I wonder if I'd feel more at ease playing the violin I'm used to..."

Brett (in Eddy's body) shrugged, then smiled.

"It's okay. Go on, start with your own violin Eddy... we can swap later if necessary."

"Okay..."

Eddy (in Brett's body) played a random note on his violin.

"Brett, what was that?"

"Um... a C sharp?"

"Correct. This?"

He plays a double stop.

"...D and F"

"OMFG"

Eddy (in Brett's body) walks to the piano and plays 5 random notes at once."

Brett (in Eddy's body) listens, then looks up.

"...A sharp, D... F sharp... B flat..C."

Eddy gasps.

Brett screams.

"OMG I got perfect pitch !!!! I can actually hear the notes !! The notes actually tell me what they are!!! This is amazing !!!"

"My turn !! Let me try that!!"

Brett (in Eddy's body) played a note on his violin.

Eddy (in Brett's body) scrunched up his face.

"Play that again ?"

Brett repeats the note.

"....E flat..?"

"Yes!"

"OMG, that was soooo difficult. Can I try something on the piano? 3 random notes?"

"Okay.."

Brett (in Eddy's body) steps over to the piano and played 3 random notes together.

Eddy (in Brett's body) stood frozen.

"OMG... I can't tell. I can hear the notes but I don't know where they go on the scale.. this is so weird.."

"Geez, I'm so sorry man..it's like crystal clear for me, I mean I still have to work out what note everything is, you must have practised a lot to identify them so quickly. But the quality of sound I can hear in my.. your head is so much clearer. And it's as if all the notes are sitting on these different levels of tone... I can quickly work out what they are.. It's amazing what you can hear Eddy."

Eddy played an A on his violin slightly out of tune.

Brett cringed.

"Aaaaargh!!! Was that meant to be an A??? It doesn't sit in the correct position of a scale in my head."

Eddy remained looking like he was in shock.

"Brett..I don't know if I can play the violin like this."

"What !?"

Brett scoffed indignantly.

"Oh c'mon Eddy, I think I've been doing okay till now haven't I?

"..you're right. I'm sorry.. I'm just a bit shaken up.. I think I've relied on listening to my sound so much, so..."

"Hey... I know the conditions have changed and I'm sorry if you feel like you got the raw end of the stick but.."

"No, Brett, I didn't mean it like that. I'm just being stupid... we're different and I'm just freaking out. But I love how you play and I'd be honoured if I could play like you... OMG"

'What?"

"Brett.. how's your left-hand pizz?"

Brett and Eddy simultaneously started to attempt Paganini caprice 24, variation 9.

"Brett, I think I played better than usual because your left hand is much easier to control."

"So the perfect pitch stays with Eddy's body because it's physiological but the left hand pizz is an acquired skill so I have to adjust to your larger hands and you might get a slight boost because of the agility of my left hand."

"That's pretty cool. Okay, Brett, is it okay if I go practice on my own for a while? I'm curious as to what I can do, plus I haven't put in my 40 hours today yet."

"Okay... just don't push yourself too hard and get too worked up if you can't play like you usually do, yeah? We both had a near-death experience and some seriously weird sh*t happen to us."

"Yeah.. okay, I promise."