𝟬𝟬𝟮

█████████████████████████

( 002. CHEESE )

█████████████████████████

✧゚・:┊MAYA WORKED IN A CAFÉ AS A PART-TIME JOB.

It was a good job to do because everybody was nice there and nobody looked at her with a scrutinizing gaze. In addition, Mrs. Shio, the owner of the café was once her father's neighbour in an apartment building. The sweet lady moved to live right above her own café about a decade ago, but Maya's father and Mrs. Shio kept in touch. Mrs. Shio didn't know anything at all about Takumi's job and had stopped asking anything about it a lifetime ago.

Maya and the rest of her family knew though, and everyone but Maya minded the fact that he worked under the most dangerous mafia in the city of Yokohama. And hence, Kaono divorced Takumi when she found out. Maya could tell her mother still loved Takumi but didn't want a "dangerous" man in her house— he could hurt her children.

Maya gripped the strap of her backpack, turning right. The route she walked on was the fastest route from her college to the café. And the most interesting thing was that the café was literally right next to the building in which the Armed Detective Agency was. It was routine when the Black Lizard group would come and attack their office, the fights lasting no more than a few minutes. At this point, the only thing the neighbours of the ADA building worried of was the noise of the loud gunshots and their glass shattering.

Maya checked her watch and quickened her pace. She was fifteen minutes late and the crowd that gathered right in front of the entrace of the college campus earlier to watch a fight between two jocks didn't help her reach her destination any faster.

Maya didn't work as a waitress in Mrs. Shio's café— instead, she was behind the doors, in the kitchen, being that pair of hands that makes the best daifuku in the area. It involved not talking and doing what she loved. Of course, she could make other things, but daifuku was her specialty. She made the sweet in bulk and it was preserved to be ordered by the customers the next day. It was a job, involving a few hours of work but a good pay. What her father had told her was really true; Mrs. Shio did pay handsomely.

She pushed the door of the café open, entering without looking here or there, wanting to dodge whatever interaction people threw at her and start cooking. She tied her hair and put on an apron, getting out the ingredients for the daifuku and cookies.

People greeted her every now and then as they walked in and out of the kitchen. To say the least, the place was basically run by women. The waitresses and cooks and bakers— they all were women. It seemed like working in a café for the males was out of trend for them.