The Pain a Part of Me

Ophis and I teleport away from Kyoto and arrive in a place that I don't recognize. It's safe to say I have no idea where I am, but at this point I don't think I could do anything about it. She takes me to a room and sits me down.

"I'll start from the beginning," Ophis says. "I was born in the Dimensional Gap, and I lived there for a long time. I had left the Gap for a time, but by the time I went back Great Red had taken his place there and I couldn't stay. Ever since that time I've wanted to go home."

"So that's why you've been keeping track of Vali and I. You think that the two of us can help you."

"I still do. The two of us couldn't coexist in the Dimensional Gap, and it's what caused me to be pushed out. It wasn't hard for me to find the Dragon Emperors, and I lucked out that you two ended up being related in some way."

"Let me stop you right there," I interrupt. "So you've known Vali and I were cousins the entire time, and you never told him?"

"Vali's past is complicated, and if I had told him that he had human family out in the world he would have looked for you. I didn't want to complicate things for him, especially when you realized that you were the Red Dragon Emperor and starting growing your power."

"So what about my past? You brought up Raynare one time we talked, why didn't you just take me in after my dad was killed? It would have made your goal easier, and by this point with Vali and I training with you I'm willing to bet Great Red would be gone by now." Ophis sighs.

"It isn't that simple." I scoff.

"Easy for you to say."

"Listen to me. The power of Ddraig was buried deep inside of you, and after what happened with your dad I thought maybe it would manifest, but it didn't. I knew I couldn't force the power out of you, and even if I had wanted to, I don't think it would have helped anything. When you started high school I saw the connections it looked like you were building, and I thought that you were over what had happened in the past, but as I watched you further I realized that wasn't the case. Whether you believe me or not I wanted you to be happy, to recover from your trauma. I couldn't just announce that I had been watching you, I had to let you find everything out for yourself." This whole situation is still confusing to me.

"So you saw everything that happened since Raynare fucked my life up, is that right?" Ophis shakes her head.

"No, even before that. While it is true that both of your parents were human, your mother knew what was going on with Vali's mother, your aunt. When she had found out what was going on with Vali's mother she was worried that you would be next. It wasn't as simple as knowing that devils were torturing her, but she had seen the aftermath of what she had suffered. You know by now that your mothers were siblings, and from all accounts I've seen the two of them were very close. They did everything together, and once Vali was born is when they started to drift apart, thanks to Vali's father. He was terrified of Vali having a Longinus, and when his mother would try to take care of him she would become a victim."

"That still doesn't explain why my mother would kill herself," I say quietly.

"I'm getting to that. Your mother thought that what was happening to Vali and his mother were because Vali's father hated his wife, and it developed a lot of negative thoughts in her head. She was worried that you would be targeted if Vali was killed, all because you were your mother's child. Little did she or anyone else know that that very well could have happened, and it was because of a power you didn't know. Ddraig and Albion pick their hosts, and there's a chance they knew about what would have happened."

"It isn't that simple," Ddraig interrupts Ophis. "We couldn't have known things would have been that bad for Vali growing up, and I never gave thought to whether Y/N would be targeted or not. Ultimately things didn't play out like that, but they very well could have. Trust me when I say this Y/N, I never wanted to be the reason you lost your family, but there was nothing I could have done even if I had the chance to."