65

~ phoenix ~

I should have known.

Sokolov grinned so widely, that every one of his bizarrely sharp, white teeth were on display. "Mother in exchange for the daughter, Vasiliev? I wonder why... do you find this one too young?"

My stomach twisted with disgust at the cunt's insinuation. Thankfully, my father did not joke so carelessly about this statement as he had done with others.

Instead, he said vaguely, "We are old acquaintances. I simply want to say hello and then... goodbye."

The other gasped dramatically. "You wish to kill my only Polish ally?"

"What I wish to do with Lena Stilinski after this transaction is made will not affect your security, I assure you, Sokolov," was the remark.

Although his eyes narrowed infinitesimally, Sokolov did not prod further. His perverted gaze once more returned to me. "Can I sample the goods, first?"

Horrified, I took a step back, into Stiva. One of his large hands became flat against my back. It was strangely... reassuring.

"Now, new friend, where's the good in that? Besides, for the price I am asking, you are getting two, remember?" Vasiliev said, gesturing to my round belly.

After a moment's deliberation, Sokolov finally conceded, "I cannot bring you the woman here directly. She is a feisty bitch, just like her daughter. But I can give you her location."

Under the scrutiny of his gaze, I knew not to give anything away. I just needed to get my father alone in order to give him a piece of my mind. So much for fucking fatherly love.

Apparently, he had the same idea.

"Done." He turned to Stiva, a glint in his eyes. "Prepare her for transportation. Ensure the child is unharmed." When my father's stare fell upon me, he winked.

The guard nodded stoically, using the hand on my back to guide me back outside.

When we were alone, I hissed, "I'm not going anywhere with him. Neither is Gianna."

He didn't reply, much to my chagrin. At last, however, his touch disappeared. Wordlessly, I followed him back up to the room that I woke up in the day before.

We waited in silence until eventually Vasiliev decided to show his face.

"I will not go with him," I growled, glaring at his irritating smirk.

"I know that, солнышко. I know this is discomforting but please continue with the act. You were remarkably convincing but I suggest you be a little more uncooperative when we return downstairs," he advised, casually.

"It wasn't an act. Kill him or I will."

"My little Phoenix, have patience. I just need—"

"Mom's location? Well good luck, getting it. I'll tell him everything if you don't stop this fucked up bullshit."

Uncharacteristically, his expression darkened. "You said you would not interfere between the matters between your mother and I."