30

~ phoenix ~

When my eyes blinked open, a cherub stared back at me.

Three actually — the painted angels were hovering above against the intricate backdrop of a blue sky.

A moment later, I realised I wasn't in the car and Ilya wasn't beside me. The unfamiliar room was the complete opposite of the sleek interior of the Lamborghini. It was... extravagant. The curtains at the window were thick and velvety, just like the material of the elegant sofa. There was a breathtaking vanity opposite the four poster bed, with floral embellishments and crystals.

With furrowed brows, I lifted myself out of the cloud of a bed and ventured to the window. The view outside was of a wide, clear lake and in the distance, on the other side of the water, was a skyline of tall buildings.

Locating the doors, I stepped out into a long empty hallway. The air was cold. Shivering, I pulled my cardigan tighter around my body and ventured forward. The hallway was as grand as the room, with a patterned carpet running down it. There were sidetable with candelabras against the walls. Above them, paintings of unfamiliar people.

The largest portrait was of a man, with a thick moustache and piercing, light eyes.

"Мой прадед," a voice interrupted, making me jump. [My great grand-father]

When I spun around, there was a fair-haired woman, staring reverently at the man. Her golden locks were piled intricately on the top of her head and jewels glittered at her ears and neck. The stranger wore a long, satin dress, almost as extravagant as a ball gown. Before her, I felt like shrivelling up against a wall, in my plain jeans and cardigan. There was an air around her that screamed at me to submit. It was unsettling.

"English?" I asked, timidly.

"And French, German, Italian, Spanish and Latin," she said, surprising me. "I am learning Mandarin too."

"Oh, um." I bit my lip, glancing around.

Before I could introduce myself, she questioned, "You won't bow?"

I raised a brow. "Excuse me?"

The strange woman stared at me expectantly, her eyes as bright as the ones in the portrait.

After a long moment, I was still confused.

She, unexpectedly, shot a hand out. I took it, hesitantly.

Sensing my caution, she frowned, "Is this not how you Americans greet each other?"

"Um, yeah, I guess," I stammered. "I'm Phoenix, you?"

With a dainty smile and a slight raise of her chin, she answered, "I am Grand Duchess Anastasia Volkhova of Russia."

I blanched and spluttered, "D-duchess?"

She was royalty? But I thought the Russian monarchy was assassinated during the Revolution... or at least, that was what I remembered from second period, World History every Monday morning.

"Yes," Anastasia responded, eyes glittering like jewels.

"Okay, er, do you know where Ilya is?" I asked, uncomfortably.

I had no idea how to act around important people... especially royalty.

"Have you no clue about Novgorod, Phoenix?" she demanded, staring me down.

Fidgeting with my sleeves, I reluctantly shook my head. I mean, I guess I knew of its geography but not of its importance to the Bratva. Ilya just said we were going to decrypt the chip... not meet royalty.