06

~ phoenix ~

Stephano spun the chair around. I glanced at the mirror and gasped.

My hair was blue. It wasn't a startling indigo, nor a flashy cobalt. It was a dark navy that fell around my face in waves unlike my previous frizzy locks. He'd even left strands of my original dark hair, creating almost an ombré effect. I was sure the back of my hair would be unrecognisable.

However, it stayed the same length. Although the stylist had suggested a shorter bob was trendier, I shook my head. Ilya said 'don't cut your hair', so I wouldn't.

"I love it, Stephano!" I grinned.

An hour and a half later, my once black locks had been dyed, washed and blowdried. With every second that had passed, the more fidgety I grew, praying that Ilya would not return before I escaped.

I glanced at the clock. It was 20:15. He was supposed to be here at eight. Which meant I had to move fast.

Removing the towel from around my neck, I stood and hugged the talented man. Although he was surprised, he returned the embrace heartily.

It was good to be standing again. My skin itched beneath the sequinned playsuit I hid with my jeans and hoodie. Unfortunately, I had nothing to bring heels in without alerting Ilya. I mean, I guess I could get away with new shiny sneakers in a club... they were also perfect for running.

Pulling away, I looked around, searching for a less conspicuous escape route than the front door. I spied a door down a dark hallway but it seemed to lead to another floor that outside.

Stephano, who'd noticed my wandering eyes, quirked a smile. "Let me guess? You need the restroom?"

Surprised at the offering, I nodded, a tad too enthusiastically.

"I noticed you fidgeting in the first hour," he laughed, "I'm surprised you lasted this long. It's down the hallway, through the door and upstairs."

I smiled gratefully, turning to leave. Unexpectedly, the salon door opened and one of Ilya's goons tried to follow me up.

I shot him a withering glare. "Do not follow me to the bathroom," I hissed.

Whilst the armed man gulped, the stylist cackled.

A tad guiltily, I continued my journey up. All the while, my eyes roamed the surroundings for any way to escape. Finally, I reached the bathroom. There was a window, but it was only a small square. I used the opportunity to shed my jeans and hoodie. Cool air rushed to my skin and I welcomed it gratefully.

Suddenly, something shiny caught my eye. Glancing at my hands, I found my new ring - both my new rings. The first had belonged to Ilya's mother, a vintage design that I wouldn't change for the world, and the one he surprised me with tonight brought unshed tears to my eyes even now. It was a simple silver band, but on the face of it were two letters P and I. The initials were entrusted with small glittering gems and between them, a small infinity sign. Nothing could be more perfect.

I rubbed my eyes violently, remembering that what I was doing was ultimately for him. Nothing would be a threat again - nothing could separate us after this.