54

~ phoenix ~

"I don't understand," I muttered, hands trembling. "My real father? A-and I thought they were going to kill me."

My head was growing heavy. I pressed a hand to my temple, trying to smother the dull ache.

"Phoenix," Gianna's desperate voice sounded, "please, I'll tell you the rest when we're safely out of Italy."

That caught my attention. "We're in Italy?"

"Yes, now please, come with me!"

I stood, expecting the dizziness again. I waited it out, taking a deep breath as I leant against the concrete. Then, I stepped towards her. If she was surprised, she hid it well.

Grabbing my hand, Gianna led me out of the musty cell and into a damp hallway. It was unbearably humid in the building and each of my breaths came out like a shallow breath. My thighs were heavy, arms limp like they were weighted down. But I kept moving for the sake of my baby.

Our footsteps bounced across the walls like we were buried deep underground. When she was leading me up some kind of ramp towards light, I realised that perhaps we were.

Finally, we reached light. It slipped between the thin metal fingers of the barred door. Gianna pushed it open and visibly cringed as the hinges screamed in protest. I followed her out and glanced over my shoulder, realising with horror that it was actually a dungeon.

The stone structure resembled the turret of a castle, with movement up above on the roof. Gianna grabbed my wrist, pulling me low beside her. A moment later from the darkness of the shrubs, I noticed a dark head nod over the side.

In the silence, the squawking of the seagulls and the crash of waves sounded deafening. The cool breeze threaded through my hair, pulling it over my eyes. Warily, I pushed the strands away, squinting to see we were only meters away from the ocean.

I immediately glanced at Gianna.

She motioned for me to stay quiet and pointed up. Soon enough, the head bobbed away.

"What is this place?" I hissed.

She seemed troubled as she replied, "My father's lair. This is his Sicilian island, Phoenix."

Each word felt like a stab. I was completely and utterly fucked.

If this was Sicily, the Coso Nostra's home turf, then I feared whether even Gianna would be able to help me... if that was what she was really doing.

What other choice did I have?

Worse, I remembered the files in the hidden library leading down from Ilya's office... the accounts of murder, rape and torture of even innocent Russians. All here... in Sicily, where even—

"Viktor," I erupted suddenly, grabbing her arm.

Gianna couldn't meet my eyes.

"Is he not alive?" I asked, in a smaller voice. But I already knew the answer.

She sighed. "Your mother—"