25

~ phoenix ~

The white walls of the hospital room were painfully brights when I opened my eyes.

Blinking rapidly, I adjusted to the light and a small groan left my mouth. Though my head was no longer pounding, the stab of sunlight didn't help.

"You're awake!"

I was shocked to hear Gianna's voice. Last I remembered we fought and...

"Phee... I'm sorry!" she burst, leaping at me.

"Me too," I whispered, hoarsely.

But before I could pull her closer I remembered that there was a ruby hanging around my neck. I feigned a yelp of pain and immediately, the weight was gone.

Thankfully, the nurses hadn't changed my clothes. The pendant was concealed beneath the silk blouse.

When I got here last night, the female doctor just given me an anaesthetic for the pain and though I didn't remember asking for it, I knew that the IV attached to my hand had some sort of sleep med. She'd taken my blood for some tests and apart from that, I could barely remember anything.

My right hand tingled, reminding me of my lucid dreams. Ilya...

"Hello?"

I glanced at Gianna.

"Where were you lost?" she asked, with a small frown, "I said the doctor said you can go home."

Home! I shot up, pushing back the dizziness and turned to her.

"I need you to get in contact with Ilya—"

"I already did."

"—And tell him—" I stared at her. "What did you say?"

She looked away, not meeting my eyes. "He's here."

Ripping the sheets off my body, I climbed off the bed. The first steps were shaky but Gia was there beside me, her arms steadying me.

She already contacted Ilya, so he must be around here somewhere. I couldn't understand why he wasn't with me, right now. Nonetheless, I would find him.

"Where?" I demanded, heading for the door.

"Wait, Phoenix..."

I shook my head, impatiently, pushing her back. "Please, Gianna!"

But before she could answer, the door opened.

The doctor from last night smiled for a second, before she frowned.

"You should not be standing, signora!" she reprimanded, guiding me back to the bed. "The medication has made you weak."

"But— why? What's wrong with me?" I asked, fervently.

A small grin formed on her lips. Glancing at her clipboard, the doctor flipped some pages. "The results from your blood test reveal that... you are pregnant, signora!"

The world seemed to freeze as she uttered those words. My eyes widened and my hand instantly shot to my stomach. No, that couldn't be p-possible...

As I processed the information, her voice droned on in the background.

"The nausea and dizziness are just symptoms...."