28

~ phoenix ~

I woke up the next morning in an empty bed.

After a sluggish moment, I remembered I was home. This was our room, our bed and Ilya should be here.

Shooting up, I found his silver eyes regarding me in the mirror. He stood in front of it, buttoning up a dress shirt. With a yawn, I stumbled out of the sheets and up to where he stood. I wrapped my arms around his broad frame, pressing my cheek against his back. Droplets of cold water fell from his tousled locks onto the top of my head, chasing away the morning tiredness.

We stood like that for a few seconds.

Eventually, I grumbled, "Morning."

Ilya spun slowly, unlatching my arms from his body.

"Good morning," he returned, before leaning down to press a kiss to my lips.

Smiling, I deepened it, stretching up on my tiptoes.

His hand tightened around my hips and I tugged at his hair. God, how had I been without him for so long?

Somehow, we'd teleported to the bed. Ilya pressed me down into the mattress, fingers slipping beneath his t-shirt and massaging my breasts. I moaned quietly, arching my back up to him. A firm knee separated my legs and his lips dived to my neck, leaving a trail of bites and kisses. My fingers were unbuttoning his shirt when he paused.

"I have work," he muttered, lowly.

Sighing, my fingers stilled.

We stared at each other. The pools of molten silver in his eyes darkened under the shadow of lust. My body thrummed with the electricity buzzing between us.

Before he changed his mind, I ducked out of his arms and headed for the en-suite.

He caught my hand, growling against my ear, "Later."

Swallowing a nervous giggle, I pressed one last kiss against his lips and went for a shower.

Beneath the scalding spray, I lathered my skin with Ilya's soap. My stomach barely protruded out. There was a small curve that could've easily been a food baby. Except I knew it was my baby — our baby.

Rinsing myself off, I decided that I needed to talk to him at least this week.

When I returned to the room, I found Ilya had disappeared, most likely to his office. From the wrecked closet, I salvaged a knitted cable cardigan, a cropped t-shirt and some jeans. My underwear was a chaotic heap on the ground. Fishing for a bra and panty, I eventually settled for a mismatched pair.

I'd barely finished getting dressed when there was a knock on the door.

"Come in!" I yelled, replacing both my rings on my fingers.

A moment later, three uniformed women entered, with black bags and trolleys.

"Мы здесь, чтобы убрать," a short one said, [We're here to clean up]

Though I didn't understand a word, I figured out that they were here to fix Ilya's mess. Awkwardly, I loitered whilst they clucked around the broken furniture.

"Can I help?" I offered, meekly.

The women didn't seem to understand but when I stooped to pick up a shirt, they gasped. One of the burlier ones ushered me out, shaking her head furiously.

Taking the hint, I left them to it and took the elevator down to the third floor. As I approached, Ilya was leaving, tossing some a set of keys in his hand.

"Where are you going?" I asked.

"To pick you up."

Surprised, I faltered. "Where are we going?"

He grabbed one of my hands and led me down to the garage, where we encountered Hulk.

Aleksey didn't react when he saw me. In fact, his eyes slid over me quickly turning to Ilya. Was he ignoring me?

"Hey, Hulk," I tried, softly.

"Ready?" he asked Ilya.

Yup. Ignoring me.

"Да," Ilya replied and to me, he said, "We're going to try and decode the chip from the ruby. I thought you'd want to come."

Stunned, I opened and closed my mouth like a dumb fish. Finally, I stuttered, "Y-yeah."

He pulled me to his Lamborghini and Aleksey made way to his red Ferrari.

In the car, I looked pensively at my hands.

We shot off towards the compound gates and they swung open magically. I'd missed this car so damn much.

But right now, I couldn't enjoy it. Even the bigass Hulk was mad at me. And I didn't want to care — I mean it was Aleksey after all — but somehow, that bastard and his scowl had barged their way into my heart.

Ugh, why was I always on the verge of tears? Thinking about it, I realised I hadn't felt truly content in a long time, apart from the few moments of bliss in Ilya's arms.

As if he read my thoughts, one of his hands snaked into mine, intertwining our fingers. I leaned towards the window, resting my head against the cool glass and blinked away the sorrow.

When were things gonna get better?

"Are you sad?" Ilya asked, tearing me out of my thoughts.

Shaking my head, I insisted, "I'm fine." To change the subject, I added, "Where exactly are we going?"

He paused and I felt his eyes on my face. Eventually, he said, "To a safehouse in Novogrod."

That had caught my attention. "Isn't that like another city?"

He nodded, "It's south of Petersburg. About a two hour drive."

My brows furrowed. "Why are we taking the car?"

Ilya glanced at me briefly and retorted, "Do you want to be in another plane?"

The thought brought queasiness to my stomach. The jet ride back to Russia hadn't been pleasant for either of us.

But his answer also made me want to lean over and kiss all his damn thoughtfulness out of him.

So I did.

Leaning over the console, I stabbed his cheek with my lips and muttered into his ear, "kocham Cię." [I love you] My fingers trailed down his chest, going lower and lower...

Shivering, he turned and pierced me with his glowing eyes. "Phoenix," he warned, lowly. The hand on the steering wheel tightened like the one on my thigh.

Shooting him a lazy grin, I settled back into my seat. "Later," I retorted, returning his words from earlier.

He slammed his foot on the brakes, making me jump. He glared at me, moving dangerously closer.

Then, Aleksey beeped noisily behind us.

With an aggravated sigh, he pulled back and we were moving again. Unable to hide the victorious grin, I laced my fingers through his hand.

"Later," he repeated.

NOTE:
Later, hoes. *wink*
Also, I hate fucking coronavirus. I have a breakdown every other day in lockdown cuz I'm fucking trapped in my damn apartment and its so fucking shit!!!
xo, Rosavi