chapter twenty-two

JACKIE HAD NEVER much liked mornings before her fifth year of Hogwarts

....JACKIE HAD NEVER much liked mornings before her fifth year of Hogwarts. In fact she made any excuse to stay curled inside the blankets of her bed until long after the sun had risen. But the world that she was currently living in seemed to be continuously warping and changing around her and sometimes she felt that the sun rising over the Black Lake was the only event that was familiar to her. It was a constant comfort, to know that even if everything went to shit over the next few months, at least she could be sure that the sun would rise in the morning and set again at night.

She also found that these few moments of quiet contemplation in the morning lessened her persistent headaches throughout the day. They never seemed to ease or go away and even when they were at their least, she could still feel that constant tingling above her temples. She could feel the headaches worsening again, the pain building up with each day that passed. It was like a wooden dam, and the water was getting higher and higher until eventually it would overflow and burst and, wreak havoc on anything in it's path. She was frankly terrified of what premonitions her next vision might bring and what position it might put her in.

That was how Benny found her that morning, sitting with her breath fogging up the window that pointed out towards the moors beyond the castle walls. Her eyes were glazed over as her mind worked furiously.

"Everything okay Jac?" Benny asked in hushed tones. She wasn't sure why she felt the need to whisper but it was almost as if the atmosphere of the early hour demanded quiet.

Jackie was pulled abruptly from her daydream at the sound of Benny's voice from behind her. She turned and her dressing gown made a swishing sound as she moved to face her friend. "What are you doing up so early?" Jackie asked in her weary morning voice.

"I could ask you the same thing." Benny muttered, narrowing her eyes at the other girl's pensive state. "I'm gonna go down to the pitch early and practice some new flying techniques. Reg is gonna watch and give me pointers."

Jackie merely crossed her arms in response, taking in Benny's quidditch apparel and the broomstick clutched in her hand. "Can I come with?" Jackie asked genuinely.