chapter fourteen

SIRIUS WAS A stupid furry prat

....SIRIUS WAS A stupid furry prat. Or so James said.

Remus agreed.

Peter preferred to sit on the fence during conflict.

"Are you serious?! A few conversations with a pretty Slytherin and you just invite her into the Order?" James scolded, staring Sirius down with what was supposed to be an angry glare.

Sirius shot James a conspiratorial grin to try and ease the tension. "Yes Prongs, I am in-fact Sirius." He joked, at entirely the wrong time.

"You didn't answer my question." James demanded, wanting a reason as to why he thought it would be a good idea to invite a snake into the lion's den.

Sirius grimaced at his determination. "I ignored it because I didn't particularly want to answer it maybe." He told him with a meek look.

James threw his arms up in the air and scoffed. "You can deal with him Remus; you have more patience than me." He turned and left the dorm to head to dinner, dragging Peter along with him.

Sirius ran his hands through his long hair and sighed. He had thought that Jackie keeping Remus' little secret to herself would have been enough to convince James of her trustworthiness. Her sharp mind and fierce resolve would be a valuable asset to the Order, he knew it. And he just couldn't bear to think of that same sharp mind and fierce resolve smoldered to ashes under the suffocating hand of Walburga Black. If she didn't get out of her betrothal soon, it would be too late to save her. Just like he had been too late in saving his own brother.

He was broken out of his thoughts by the voice of Remus. "James is right you know. You should be more careful about who you tell." The mousey-haired boy muttered, not taking his eyes off the book in his hand.

Sirius groaned his annoyance and flopped down on the bottom of Remus' bed, just below his friend's feet. "Not you too Moony. You're supposed to take my side." He complained, looking up at him with an accusatory gaze.

"I can't take your side when you're wrong." Remus shot back, grinning at Sirius' annoyed manner from behind his book.

"I'm never wrong." Sirius grumbled, rolling over onto his front. "You know what your problem is?" He commented, sitting up to peer at him over the edge of his book. "You're too uptight."