chapter twenty

THE TRAIN RIDE back to Hogwarts after Christmas was like an odd sense of déjà vu

....THE TRAIN RIDE back to Hogwarts after Christmas was like an odd sense of déjà vu. It reminded Jackie very much of the train ride at the beginning of term except with one blaring new addition. Regulus Black of all people sitting right across from her.

It was downright strange to think that only four short months ago, she wouldn't have even smiled at the boy if she had passed him in the corridors. She wouldn't have even spared him a glance up at him if he had entered the common room. And only a few days ago he had been kissing her into oblivion in a Malfoy Manor greenhouse. And now she couldn't possibly keep her eyes off him.

He would be talking to Benny about Quidditch teams when he would feel her eyes on him. He would look up and his grey irises would lock with her brown ones and she would be forced to look away again, her cheeks marred red. And that smug little smirk that we would wear everytime he caught her staring was doing absolutely nothing to help the situation either.

Any other time she might have been disgusted by her own lovesick puppy act, but right now she couldn't bring herself to care.

Just as she had pulled her knitted green cardigan over her bare shoulders and pulled out a book to read, there was a knock at the carriage door. She already knew who it was. The same person who always interrupted her just before she began to do anything productive.

The carriage door slid open and she found that this particular person had also brought his band of goons along with him. Brilliant.

Sirius planted himself between Jackie and Elizabeth unceremoniously. Remus sat down at her other side with James and Peter squashed in between Benny and Regulus on the opposite seats.

"Budge over, will you Jackie?" Sirius asked, wiggling about in his seat.

"To where exactly?" Jackie asked in annoyance, gesturing to where Remus was jammed up against the carriage door. "How big is your arse anyways?" She grumbled, nudging him in the side with a pointy elbow.

"Godric Jackie, if you wanted a peek, you could've just asked." He teased smugly.

Jackie rolled her eyes as James and Peter chuckled in the corner.