chapter eleven

REGULUS FIGURED THAT  he was probably going insane

....REGULUS FIGURED THAT he was probably going insane. And it was all her fault. Before she had come along everything had been so black and white. He would complete his years at Hogwarts, inherit his family's wealth and ideals, and join whatever blood purist group his parents requested. And he would stay in line and keep his mouth shut. He certainly wouldn't knock Lucius Malfoy half unconscious over a girl.

When his mother heard about this, she would murder him. A disgraced Black son threatening the Dark Lords favorite recruit? Walburga would have a fit. These were his exact thoughts as he brooded darkly in his favorite armchair in the Slytherin common room.

He tried to ignore the death glares that Lucius was shooting him as Narcissa fussed over his injured head. Regulus knew he wouldn't just let this go. There would be consequences.

He decided to watch Jackie instead to distract himself from Malfoy's rage. She was sitting cross-legged in front of the fire in her dressing gown. Elizabeth was behind her braiding her curls into a long plait. Unruly locks slipped out and framed her face like a halo. How could someone so perfect feel like such destruction?

He missed them. Not just Jackie but all her friends too. Regulus had never had any real friends. It felt nice to live in Jackie's world for even a little while. He missed her most of all. He missed the way her body leaned against his when she was tired. He missed the way her eyebrows furrowed when she was concentrating. He missed the way her eyes twinkled when she laughed.

He had thought that defending her might have shown her that being betrothed to him didn't have to be a curse. But she only looked bored. Maybe Sirius had already shown her the fun and mirth that he didn't possess. Maybe she wanted the light instead of the shadow.

Salazar, he was in trouble.

———————————

Jackie didn't have a clue how she had managed to get roped into a marauder prank plan.

Actually, no she had several clues why. Sirius had called her a banter-dampener the first five times she had refused to help. She was fairly sure that he had made that term up just to tease her.