| XXVIII | Planning for Battle

*No POV*

This was the first time Ninjago had truly been in peace for a long time.

Each of their battles with Morro and the other ghosts hadn't affected the city. Therefore, they were able to celebrate the upcoming New Year's festival with ease without having to worry about an attack.

Although despite what the citizens have been through for so long, they really were never prepared for the chaos that happened each time.

Ronin thought about all of this as he sat in Chen's Noodle Shop, listening to the reporter talk on the small television.

He sat with his body hunched forward just a bit. His hat wasn't on his head. He seemed just a bit... dispirited.

It was all empty save for the owner of the shop walking toward him with a jug.

"Hard to believe you don't have any friends to usher in the New Year."

Ronin only grinned in her direction. "Let's say I'm good at making friends, not keeping them."

Skylor only chuckled as she poured water in his aeroblade, refilling it. "Even a friend who spoils the party every once in a while is still a better friend than someone who stays away."

He blinked in surprise, picking up his blade and attempting to just place it on his lap. He didn't know if she thought it was rude.

Yet she didn't, only walking back to place the jug down. "Ah, it's okay. I've been around enough weapons in my day. In fact, it kind of reminds me of some old friends."

He swore he found a small blush on her face. Of course, there was no way he could know what she was thinking at that moment.

So instead, he merely asked, "How much do I owe you?"

Skylor returned the smile he sent her way. "It's on the house... friend."

"Appreciate it."

The reporter's words on the TV then caught his attention. "Hey, mind turning that up?"

The redhead got on the counter, pressing a button multiple times. "You know that sewer swamp?"

Ronin nodded. "Yeah, I used to call it home."

"And no other town likes to celebrate more than the residents of Stiix county!"

He took a good look at her—her clothing specifically.

"Were you an honorary Ninja or something?"

Skylor turned around, shooting him another grin. "Not exactly. Sort of got invited to be in the end, though. Alas, I can't leave this place unattended."

"Ah..."

"Why do you ask? Do you know them?" she asked, although somewhat jokingly. She was rather surprised at his answer.

"Yeah, but I know I'm on their wanted list. Like I said, I'm not that great at keeping friends."

"If it makes you feel any better," she spoke, sitting herself on top of the counter. "I probably would've been, too. But we're cool now. They're all pretty easygoing... I think you'll be fine."

Ronin chuckled. "Kinda hard when you're sort of a criminal."

And Skylor laughed, too. "Well, my father was one. I thought I had to get caught up in his schemes, and, well... now I'm the one running his noodle shop in his wake. Can I say we're in the same boat?"