Not All Celebrities Can Be Popular

"What's that?" Kit asked, looking at the massive pile of envelopes on the floor as he sat across them.

"I believe they call it 'hate mail' in the states." Emma said, tearing open another letter. "This is a sign of our victory, really. Buying the business and implementing an equal pay system was a genius way of fighting subtly."

"Thank Irene." Jane tossed an envelope in a separate pile. "She came up with it."

"Yes, but the equal pay was your idea."

"Hold on. If this is hate mail, why are you reading it?" Kit frowned as he read one with very strong language. "The people are very... opinionated about your decision."

"Well they have every right to be." Jane said. "It's a drastic change, but it is a fair one. Like this;" she held up a letter. "Those who are used to freedom of their own, another's freedom will be viewed as an oppression." She read aloud. "Mankind works in funny ways doesn't it?"

"Is that a thank you letter?"

"Oh, no." She moved on to another one. "They immediately go against the movement after that. But a win!" She said. "We're going somewhere."

"Um, Jane?" Emma tapped her shoulder and handed her an official envelope, buried among the rest. "You might want to hold back the celebrations."

To: Jane Wilson

I have to say I'm impressed with your efforts to put an equal wages program into action. Owning one of the kingdom's largest businesses and hiring both men and women, paying them the same two crowns a month. Ingenious. But a misstep on your part.

You of all people know about your father's... addiction to spending and your mother's cloth hoarding. I can only say so much about your brother. And you know the kingdom is fragile at the moment. I'm not entirely sure you of all people would best handle this issue. It would be better for the kingdom if the Duke of Sommers can take over the businesses. You will be paid in full, the same amount you paid the Earl as soon as you agree to hand over the contracts to Lord Taylor. And your position won't be compromised. You must understand that this is merely for the good of the kingdom. I am only looking out for our people, Miss Wilson.

And it would make it so much easier if this transition of power can be kept quiet. You're a quiet person aren't you, Miss Wilson? I like your sort. You can never tell if you're daydreaming or plotting murder. For our sake, I'd much prefer the former.

I'm looking forward to your letter, Jane.

Best regards,

Her Majesty, Queen Amelia Pembrooke

She handed the letter to Kit, watching his eyes darken with each word. You're a quiet person aren't you, Miss Wilson? It was a taunt, a threat against her from the queen herself. The queen who had taught her how to embroider. The queen who held them an engagement ball, purely out of fun. The queen who laughed at her jokes. The queen who assured her there would be no one else. How could she have been so blind?

"What are you going to do?" The words hung in the air, filling the deadly silence between them. She could take the money, live carefree for the rest of her days while the women of her duchy struggled to meet up with ridiculous working hours. The Duke of Sommers wasn't a kind man. And he certainly could care less about the people in her part of Lyrell. Or she could say no. And lose everything. Start from the dress shops and tearooms. That is, if they would even let her.

She looked at Kit. He was going to break off the engagement between them the moment she lost her title. There was no possibility of a prince marrying a commoner. And certainly not one without a home or money.

"I'll tell you what's going to happen." Emma stood, a waterfall of letters cascading down the front of her dress. "We are not going to sit here and wallow in your indecisiveness. You are going to say no to that offer." She turned to Jane. "Years of planning have gone to this . We are not going to give it up to some misogynistic duke. He'll only tear up the perfectly good invitations I've made."

"But—"

"No disagreeing." She tugged Jane up by the elbow. "You both might not be star-crossed lovers but I know what you have here is as real as there will ever be."

"Where are you going?"

"About time we started a plan, Nick." Emma called out as she pulled Jane along into the corridor. "I'm not going to let a witch throw away a perfectly good engagement. If she wants to start a war, I'd happily oblige."