Meet Mr. Shopaholic

"Am I supposed to wear that?" She looked at the pale monstrosity sitting on her bed. A wedding dress, or something made to look like it. She could already hear all the rumors coming out of wearing such a garment.

"It's from the prince, miss." Emmeline informed,and Jane swore she saw a flash of a wicked grin from the professional. "A wedding present for your grace."

"Wedding present?" That bastard, she couldn't help smiling. A joke then. Not a mockery, but an understanding as to where their relationship was headed. Two years ago, she would have been overjoyed, misreading his prank entirely. But much has changed since then. "Is it tradition? Should I get him one as well?"

"That would be the right thing to do, your grace." The maid coughed a chuckle as she helped Jane into a much simpler dress.

"What do you think, Emmeline? Another ridiculous crown to match last years?"

"I'm not sure the duke would take too kindly to your whims." The lighthearted expression disappeared almost immediately, a dark look crossing Emmeline's face. "The staff has received word of his return. An hour from now."

"An hour?" Was it Wednesday already? "Give the younger maids the rest of the day off." Jane said, fastening the clasp on her watch. "Hide all of my mother's portraits and prepare only one servant to tend to my father."

"Is Mr. Smith sufficient?"

"Mr. Smith will do good." She nodded. "He knows father's favourite drinks and his opium measurement. Ready the essential staff Emmeline," her expression was almost bored as the maid arranged her hair. "We're going into battle."

__________

Once before, she might have greeted the Duke of Dewward with open arms, hugs and anecdotes. But his absence had changed them. Jane thought she had prepared herself, prepared the house and the staff, but she couldn't shake the uneasiness in her chest. Perhaps he had changed. She laughed mirthlessly as she made her way to the entrance. Could people really change?

"BE CAREFUL!"

She could already hear him screaming.

Her father's face was turning red with impatience, yelling at a maid carrying his bag of foreign trinkets. She already knew the duke and his temper, mumbling her apologies as she continued handling his trunk carelessly.

"I SAID BE CAREFUL GIRL!" The maid merely shook her head, muttering what Jane caught as very colourful language. "What kind of incompetent service did you hire Jane?"

"That was your hire, papa." She smiled gently, watching a grim-faced Emmeline take the bag from the maid. "Tea? Maybe then we can go over the account books."

"No, no tea yet," he looked around at the minimal staff, frowning. "Where's Berkley? I should have a word with him first. Friends before family, don't you always say?"

"Berkley left father." Jane reminded him. "After your first trip."

"Did he? Who's the new head then? This fine man perhaps?" He motioned to a broad shouldered man in a servant's uniform.

"Mr. Smith will tend to your stay. Emmeline," The maid stepped forward. "Is head. Should you have any complaints, you can take it up with me."

"So formal," he smiled, amused by their little show. "I'll have a bath, then we'll speak." Without another glance to anyone, the duke stepped inside, voicing his complaints at the new drapes Jane had picked. Jane caught Emmeline's subtle glare to the duke. He wasn't quite anyone's favourite.

"How long is he staying?"

"A week," Jane sighed. "Less if I can help it. He already has ten other debt ridden estates. Maybe he'll stay there instead." Her father liked to spend on trinkets and houses. Some were bizarre, some merely there to entertain him. But as long as it kept him away, she was ready to provide. "Has Miss Pembrooke sent the papers?"