Bonus Chapter: Jane and Kit

credits to @city_of_fae. She has  inspired a lot of Jane and Kit's relationship dynamics. I cannot say how sad I am that this story has come to  a close, but there is always the promise of new ones to come. In The Story of Jane, all I wanted to do was show a relationship between a boy and a girl and the one who wasn't chosen. It  came very close to being a YA book (I think?). But I hope the take on a duchess trying to save her dukedom and salvaging her reputation with a lover by her side was the better choice. Thank you, thank you, thank you to all of you for reading to the end. And please drop in a comment or a vote, it means the world, really. I'd love to know how I can improve, and what I should keep going at.

Jane was stressed to a point where even the most unobservant of them would see it. Kit had seen it coming from a mile away— he just didn't have a clue what to do about it. Dewward had finally stabilised enough for her to start making investments again, but they still had to be careful where they stepped. Not that he was one to talk. His self care did compose of a large chunk of late nights and mugs of caffeine. But Jane hadn't been sleeping or eating well in ages. And it made him worry more than he ever thought he could.

"Jane," His head peeked from the mound of bills and ledgers stacked on the table. "You should take a break. While I know you can't get enough of economic theory, I'm afraid I might jump out a window if I have to do another sum regarding probability and statistics."

She looked up, the tiredness clear in her eyes. "Tell me when you do. I'll stop you then. I only have a few more bills to go through."

"We're going to take a nap." He froze, closing his open jaw as he tried to come up with an excuse. "I mean, you... should be napping... resting. On your own." The words weren't supposed to come out that way. Damn Jane and her ability to make him stumble over his words. But the chuckle she let out was worth tripping over and over again.

"You know most men would usually ask me out to dinner."

I have. Over and over. Except you didn't think of it that way, because you are one of the most brilliant and equally oblivious people I know.

"Yes, but I'm not most men am I?" I'm a bumbling idiot who doesn't know what to do when I'm with you. "While it certainly is intriguing to see where your mind travels, I meant rest from this madness before you're at risk of sleep deprivation. Although your thoughts are entertaining, I'll admit."

"As if your mind doesn't work the same wayward way." She rolled her eyes, a smile tugging at her lips. A success.

Not that she was stingy with her smiles. But there were times, in the darkest corners of his mind where her grin— a true, genuine one— could change his entire day.

"Come on." He patted her shoulder. "You need a break and I need a bit of fresh air."

A moment of hesitation passed, where she looked at him and likely realised he wasn't giving up, before she stood, patting his back as she walked past him.

Though they had been friends for years, the few years in which Kit found himself slowly falling for her, any contact between them made his heart race.

"Well are you coming?"

"I'll uh, be right there," he called back, making a final sweep of the room and picking up what Jane considered her lucky ledger. An index of every purchase, loan, payment and income she had ever made since starting with her father's duchy.

"You forgot your book."

"Oh, thanks." She slipped it into her coat pocket. "So, Mr. Future King, where to?"

__________

Kit was certain he was mad. It was one thing to notice the familiar gleam of wonder in his friend's eyes. It was another to stand shivering in the snow, one layer short only to wait for her to come back from a visit to her father's. Their relationship was noticeably tense, so he couldn't understand what took her so long. Another thing on top of another was Emma's unrelenting schemes, trying to get them alone together. He could see her looking bright in the white blankets, her cheeks flushed and her nose red as she gathered an absurdly huge snowball.

"Are you going to throw that at me?" He raised a brow at her wicked grin. "I could have a guard just shield me you know."

"And let Irene tease you about not being man enough for snow?"

"She—" he wasn't given a chance to finish his sentence as Emma threw the massive snowball and hit his chest, sending him stumbling backwards into the snow.

"Nick, no— Nicholas!" The same grin was painted on his face as he pelted a snowball. "You bastard."

It backfired almost immediately when she decided to run after him.

Neither were in appropriate clothing or particularly good at running through thick layers of snow. And Emma fell on her arse more than once. But they were laughing, and smiling and he didn't want to ruin her mood. Especially since the wedding.

"Compromise?" Kit panted from the ground, offering a hand.

Emma grasped his hand gladly, still smiling from their chase. A mistake.

"Ha!" He raised his hands in triumph as he pulled Emma into the snow beside him.

"Is that the childish voice of a future king I hear?" Their heads turned to the right, finding Jane trudging over to them.

He sighed in relief, somewhat worried that it might have been his mother catching them outside. "How was the talk? Did you give your father back all his assets?"

"Yes," she huffed, plopping down beside them. "But I'm starting to doubt Irene's plan."

"Well she's certain it's the best way." Kit shrugged as he sat up, his trousers and coat soaked through. "I'm not entirely married to the plan either."

"Like how we aren't married?" Jane chuckled as his cheeks turned red. "Emmeline says there might be other options than controlling the kingdom's economy. Maybe we should consider those first?" The smile disappeared from her face as she stood and held out both her hands to Emma and Kit.

"Maybe." He tilted his head and pulled Jane into the snow with a playful grin. But until then, until they had to make otherworldly decisions, they could just sit there in the snow and bask in each other's company. They could pretend, just for a moment, that the world might not come crashing down.