Chapter 46

"I heard the news."

Shota looked up at your manager, Will. He planned to sulk at Anteiku for pretty much the entire day as classes were still on hold and he had nothing better to do. Everything he had on his list was done.

He had finished meeting with the students' families the other day, and the villains that were caught were interrogated and imprisoned. He couldn't visit you due to the visitor limit, as the students wanted to see you as well, Midoriya especially. He had to let the students visit you, even if you were unconscious.

"I'm sure they'll be fine, Shota," Nemuri said, her cheerfulness toned down but still optimistic.

"Yeah," Hizashi said hopefully. "You just gotta wait it out."

Unfortunately, his friends had the same idea to come here, though instead of focusing on sulking they were focused on cheering him up. Just leave me alone to sulk god damn it.

"Whatever," Shota muttered. You were technically okay, just sleeping indefinitely, he told himself, but it just further worried him.

"Are you all okay?" Will asked, giving the three a concerned look. He passed them a cup of coffee that he hadn't ordered. "On the house."

They bowed their heads to the older man in appreciation.

"Thanks," Nemuri murmured. "It's been a rough couple of days." She looked at Shota and smiled sadly. "And he's been taking it a lot rougher than we have." She glanced at Hizashi.

"Y'know," Hizashi started, trying to lift the mood and joke around, "you and [L/N] were awfully close. Are you perhaps a...?"

"No." Shota sighed. Taking a sip of the coffee, he remained silent for a while.

He didn't know what to do. He didn't know how to feel. He didn't know why he felt like this.

"I'm worried for them," he finally said. It was obvious, of course. But he had to get that out. "I'm afraid they'll never wake up."

"We all are." Nemuri patted him on the back.

"Mx. [L/N] has helped us out a lot around here," Will said simply. "I do hope they come back."

"Yeah."

"You should have hope in them."

The café was silent apart from the orders and sounds of coffee making. Other small sounds were blocked off with Shota's own thoughts.

"I think I may have fallen for them," he admitted, more to himself than the others, as if confirming his own feelings.

The others seemed surprised, but Shota had a feeling it wasn't because of what he said, but because he admitted it.

"Have you told them?" Hizashi piped up.

"Told them what?"

"That you love them."

"No."

"You should go tell them now."

"They're unconscious."

"They may still be able to hear."

"Unlikely," Shota scoffed, yet feeling a spark of hope in him.

"At least you won't be immediately rejected," Nemuri chimed in. Hizashi nodded with her.

They sure liked looking on the bright side of things.

<•>

The dorms were built in just three days and the students had all visited. They were concerned as well, and with Shota not having any information, he didn't know how to reassure them.

It took him about a week to gather up the courage to see you again. Why did it take so long? Perhaps it was the fear of seeing your body, almost like a corpse. Or perhaps it was the painful silence in the room. Either way, he didn't know and he hated himself for it

With a much clearer mind, he had asked the doctor more about your state.

Your body could still recover from the wounds, there was a chance you could still hear, smell, and feel, and the chances of coma lasting a year or more were rare.

He sat down at the same spot he was before, alone with you, quiet and calm.

Shota didn't know why he was here.

"[L/N]."

It wasn't like he had anything to do here.

"How are you?"

It wasn't like you could respond to him in any way.

"I hope you'll recover soon."

It wasn't like he was any good at conversations.

"[L/N]." He sighed. "I think I love you."

It wasn't think.

"I love you."

He stared at your unmoving, injured body.

It wasn't so hard to say it when you were unconscious.

He didn't even know if you heard him.

He wasn't sure if he wanted you to have heard him.

At least he wasn't immediately rejected, he thought to himself dryly.

"Please," Shota looked down, hands clenched as he despaired, "wake up."