Chapter 45

Shota should be happy. Relieved, glad, satisfied.

Bakugo was rescued, and All Might had defeated the main big bad evil guy. What was there not to celebrate?

Pretty much everything else.

All Might's end, the other villains' disappearance, the casualties of the heroes involved, the student rescuers' disobedience, and you.

"Mx. [L/N] has suffered from a deep stab wound in their lower waist," the doctor reported. "Their legs were under the weight of... a lot of large trees, but thankfully it is not too major as they weren't crushing them. What is a major problem, though, is their head injury. They have likely suffered from a traumatic brain injury while falling down with the creature." He flipped through his clipboard and looked up at the hero with a concerned frown on his face.

Almost directly after the news of All Might's success and end, Shota had come to check up on you. Out of all the casualties of the villain attack, you had suffered the most.

That was probably unfair of him to think, he knows. Ragdoll had lost her quirk completely and Jeanist was out of commission with a hole blasted right through him.

But you were here, hooked up to wires, bandages wrapped around you, and an oxygen mask on, and Shota was more worried about you.

"It will take quite some time for them to recover, and we are unsure if they will completely, at all," he continued. He considered for a moment his next words. "They're in a coma."

Shota collapsed onto a chair as the doctor went over what he knew. He wasn't even processing the information, not that he would understand the medical jargon anyway.

"We tried our team's medical quirks, but they haven't had any effect at all."

"Their quirk is immunity to all other quirks," Shota said monotonously. He clenched his teeth.

Why was he even this worried about you? You'll recover eventually. He should be more worried about the students. The past few days have been a hell of a roller acoaster for them. He had still yet to meet with their families about dorms, and convince them that they'll be safe. And he was willing to sacrifice his life for his students.

But he wasn't even able to help you.

He couldn't even erase your quirk for quirks to work on you, as meta as it sounded, because it was a mutant-type quirk.

"They had insomnia... and nightmares," Shota suddenly interrupted. "How come they're not waking up or in distress?"

"People in comas are incapable of entering REM sleep, so they won't be having dreams or nightmares." The doctor didn't continue his previous information monologue, noticing that it was going into deaf ears.

"How long will this last?"

"Most likely not for longer than a month. It's more often than not coma patients wake after a few days or weeks. However...." he paused, hesitating on the next piece of information, "it could last for a year or more... or never."

Shota remained silent. He was worried and terrified that you may never wake up. And sleep was something he loved and you feared, he thought miserably.

"Thank you," Shota finally said, bowing his head to the doctor.

The doctor nodded, leaving him at that and closing the door behind him.

Just him and his own thoughts now. And the sound of the heartbeat monitor and you breathing in and out.

The stillness didn't last long, as the door clicked and he heard footsteps. Thinking it was the doctor again, he didn't look up until he heard the sound of a chair being pulled up next to you.

He looked up to see a hooded figure. He couldn't tell who it was from the back, but when the stranger turned to look at him, he immediately stood up, getting in an offensive position.

Pale blue hair, dry lips, red eyes. Shigaraki.

Shota didn't have his capture weapon. Shota didn't have any weapons on him. Shigaraki could kill you in mere seconds with his quirk.

The villain stared at him with a straight face, not saying anything. Then his eyes went back to you.

"What are you doing," Shota demanded.

"Visiting. I haven't passed the visitor limit, have I?"

"What are you planning."

"Nothing."

"What—"

"I'm just here to visit my only family." His voice cracked in the middle of his sentence. "Before I leave for good."

Reluctantly, Shota relaxed his stance and sat down. Fine. Now wasn't the time to fight.

"Hey...." the villain looked up at him. Since his severed hand wasn't on his face, Shota could tell that he was tired. The skin around his eyes was wrinkly and dull. His lips, cracked and dry, were in a frown. And his eyes, downcast, showed nothing but concern for you. The thought of fighting him and taking him down now crossed his mind, but he held back the urge.

"What?" Shota spat. "This is all your fault."

"Heroes... so quick to accuse," he muttered. He stopped, biting back his words. "Though you're not wrong."

Shota crossed his arms, letting the tension fill the air.

"...I'm sorry," the villain finally said.

"What?"

"You heard."

"For what?"

The look in his eyes was far from those of an evil, murderous villain. "I was too caught up in my plans. I didn't care what had happened to [Y/N] until the plan had been done. When I heard what happened to them, I regret not worrying about them more. I even thought that they gave away our location to you heroes." He paused, voice cracking again with his words. "And they're an older sibling to me."

"I thought that they gave away our camp location to you villains," Shota admitted. "I should have trusted them more."

The two sat there silently, pondering and regretting their own actions and thoughts.

A few minutes later, Shigaraki pulled his hood further over his head and left without a word.

Shota didn't know what to do. He had to just wait. There was nothing he could do except wait. He sighed, watching the lines on the heartbeat monitor and the clouding of the oxygen mask as you breathed.

You didn't deserve this. You deserved better. You were kind, forgiving, determined. You were able to change and forgive those villains, despite what they did to you. You were able to care for your brother, despite what he did. You were able to protect those students, despite what they may think of you.

And he realized. Despite everything, he really did love you.