Chapter 29

"Watching someone succeed thanks to your influence is a nice feeling."

When he said that, you weren't expecting to be pitted against the students in a few days and told to do your best to stop them from succeeding.

Aizawa had suggested that although you weren't a hero, you should have a part in the practical exams.

The students had a hard time stressing about the written exams, having it linger over their heads during the internship week and the studying taking over them in the course of three days.

And now you, stressing about testing the students. You knew it shouldn't, but it felt like a huge weight on your shoulders.

You didn't know how exactly the grading would be, but considering the other teachers would be observing not just the students you were against, but you, made it feel like you were also being tested.

Thankfully, the panic of fighting against students and having their fate in your hands, as well as your own fate feeling like it wasn't in your own hands, settled down thanks to a few words of encouragement from Recovery Girl.

Her words and watching the other fights made you feel a lot less worried. You could definitely be a fair match against Ashido and Kaminari, but the students didn't think so.

You got in your position near the exit and waited for the electric boy and acid girl to appear.

Kaminari wasn't fast, but Ashido could use her acid to slip right through very quickly. Perhaps you'll go searching for them instead. Then again, they were the brightest students at thinking up strategies. But you wouldn't underestimate them.

You looked around the area, cautious. The setting was occupied with buildings and other architecture, leaving plenty of nooks and crannies to hide in.

It was originally supposed to be Nezu fighting the pair, so that he could utilize the buildings in some way. You weren't sure how, but you sure couldn't think of how it could benefit you.

You suddenly made eye contact with a pair of yellow eyes. "Oh. Hey."

Kaminari was peeking out from behind a building, and you couldn't tell if he let you see him on purpose or not. Seeing the bad acting, you decided that, yes, he did, and no, you were not going after them. Not because it might be some sort of trap, but because of the handicaps.

The metal cuffs around your wrists and ankles weighted you down, but it wasn't too bad. The worst thing about them was that it made you feel more tired, having your limbs feel heavier than usual.

You suddenly heard a loud creaking noise from your left. Seeing a large structure slowly coming down on you, you jumped out of the way before it crashed down. It didn't completely fall, as there was some leverage at the point of where it began to tilt. You could now see that there was some kind of acid there.

Ashido must have used her acid to melt most of the structures' bases and made them fall, using this to try and stop you from getting near them.

Or they were trying to distract you. You looked towards the exit, now having a large structure in front of it. They made it harder for themselves.

All you had to do was stall. You waited, not seeing the two students anymore. You were better at close combat anyway.

Soon, you saw a large bolt coming from your right, and flashes electricity sparked from the metal of the buildings. You didn't feel the electricity at all, and instead just stood there, focusing your attention to where the electricity had come from.

However, as you shifted your attention, you heard liquid slips and slides towards your left. Ashido was coming towards the exit, her feet secreting acid so that she could go faster.

The handicap of having the heavy cuffs was annoying, but it didn't stop you from catching on to her arm as she just barely passed you.

She secreted acid from her arms, trying to slip away, but the acid didn't affect you.

Kaminari went for the exit and you slid Ashido at him from the side, similar to curling.

She was still secreting acid from her feet, making her slide more, especially with the previous acid that was there.

Kaminari fell over clumsily when Ashido crashed into him, and Ashido's hair stood up even more than usual. The static charge from Kaminari must have done that.

You didn't know who had the cuffs, so you stayed away from both of them a bit. They were close to the exit, but when they still had to get through the blockade they made for themselves.

They quickly got back up, but you were still in the way, a small smirk on your face.

They didn't have a clear plan on what to do next and pretty soon they ran out of time.

You went over to talk to them afterwards, hoping to comfort them, seeing their distressed expressions.

"Nice job," you reassured. "You need to work on using your quirks together to make a better combination against me, in a way that's not direct since quirks won't affect me. The building was a pretty good idea."

"Darn, we were really at a disadvantage if you didn't come out near the buildings!" Kaminari said frustratedly. "We had a plan for me to just trap you in there between buildings."

"And the buildings were supposed to block your way to us while we made a run to the exit," Ashido added on.

You smiled. "Always have a plan B."

"And if plan B doesn't work?" Kaminari grumbled.

"There's 24 other letters in the alphabet." You laughed, ruffling their heads. They didn't pass this practical exam against you, but perhaps they'll get enough points from the written part.