Introduction

'Heart beats fast, colors and promises

'Heart beats fast, colors and promises. How to be brave, how can I love when I'm afraid to fall'

I had missed school yesterday due to the surge taking place. Now I am on my way to my first class, Biology. Making my way inside I walk to the teacher and hand him a slip. He signs it and starts looking around the class, mostly for a partner for me.

"I see two students are absent today, until your a permanent lab partner returns you may sit with with Mr. Cullen." the teacher informs me and I nod and head for my seat, not sparing a glance to Edward.

"Hello" Edward's voice rings as I look up from my textbook to him.

"I'm Edward Cullen, your Ember" he says and I nod with a soft smile. I turn my head back to the textbook and  pretend to read as his gaze is still on me

. Not to be mean but I enjoy playing with him. He can't read my mind even if try's so watching him concentrate is making me internally die of laughter.

I decided to mess with him and open my mind just a little, making him hear only one thought which is 'why do you want to read my mind'. 

The face he makes is priceless as I block my mind and continue to read the textbook occasionally glancing at the teacher.

The expression of Edward changes into a sly smile as he opens his mouth to ask another question.

"So you enjoying the rain?" he asks

"Yes, I am actually. Whats there to not love?" I ask him still not meeting his eyes.

"Is the weather why you moved here?" he asks

"Its complicated" I respond

"I think I can keep up" he states smiling 

"Well weather is one of the reasons, other our that the forest is amazing and I love hiking. And I love cold water surfing so" I say finally meeting his eyes.

 I see his face harden at the sight of my red eyes and I smirk before looking back at my text book.

'She's not human, could she be. How does she know I was reading her mind, her red eyes indicate she feeds of blood. She could be a danger, why was she smiling.

 Does she know I'm a vampire' thoughts spiral in his head as I try my best not to laugh at his assumptions. 

Edward immediately grabs his books to leave as the second he exits the desk the bell rings. I sigh and grab my books to leave and walk to my next class. 

TIME SKIP

Walking down to my locker I open it and keep my books before sensing Edwards presence waiting for me to be done with my task. Closing the locker door, I lean on it with my arms crossed as I meet his gaze and apparently he has an angry look on his face.

"What?" I ask calmly taking note that he thinks of me as a threat.

"Come with me" he says dragging me by my arm to the outside of the school. Walking people glance at us but neither of us seem to care as I realize he and his family are going to confront me.

Once inside the forest he drops my hand and I sense the rest of his family cornering me. The guy who Jess introduced as Jasper steps forward giving me a hard glare as he opens his mouth to by his thoughts interrogate me.

"Who are you?" he asks a calm yet harsh tone present in his voice.

"Why does it concern you?" I ask not intima dated by his family.

"I suggest you answer the question or things will have to get ugly" The blondie known as Rosalie states in a harsh tone.

"Fine to avoid a fight, I'm Ember Monroe" I state in a 'duh' tone.

"Yes but what are you?" Edward asks

"That again is none of your concern. All you have to know is I'm not a threat" I state

"Then why are your eyes red?" A hefty dude with dark black hair also known as Emmet asks

"Because that's my eye color. Now if you don't mind I would like to get home" I say, turning on my heel and walking back to the School's parking lot. I grab my car keys out of my bag as I go to unlock the door. I then lean on the car, plugging my earphones in trying to block other people's thoughts out. I gaze at the sky in wonder.

I see the Cullen's exit the forest as they make there way to there car which is parked right in front of mine. The lean on there cars for a bit until they notice my presence and look to me to see my smirking at them before looking up and continuing my gaze at the sky. 

My ears kicked in as I saw a car come crashing my way, I couldn't use my strength so I said a quick word and the car stopped right in front of me. Looking to my side I see Edward standing there a hand held out to push the car but it never reached.

He looked up at me shock evident in his eyes as I looked at him, a knowing look on my face. He immediately rushed out as people started crowding, asking if I was ok. I reassured them I was fine but they kept on asking and even insisted I go to the hospital.

Few minutes later an ambulance arrived and took me to the hospital, ignoring my protests. A nurse came up to me and asked if they could take a blood test. She looked up to meet my eyes and froze.

"You will not talk about this to anyone and you will not take my blood test

"You will not talk about this to anyone and you will not take my blood test. You will report to the doctor that everything is fine" I say and she nods walking away before my eyes turn back to normal and she completes the assigned task.

A man with very firmaliar pale skin and blonde eyes comes in and walks towards me.

"Hi, I am Dr. Carlisle Cullen. You must be Ember Monroe. My wife couldn't stop talking about you" he says with a genuine kind smile.

"Well your wife is indeed one the sweetest people I've ever met" I say with a smile.

"I'll make sure to let her know" he says as he reads what I assume my file. In that time I read his mind.

'She doesn't smell like a vampire, though her eyes are red. Though her gift could hide her scent.'  he thinks .

"Ok it seems like your free to go" he announces. I smile and say a soft 'thank you' before walking out of the room and down the hallway. Making my way to reception, my ears pick up a conversation between Rosalie, Edward and Carlisle.

I ignore it, not in the mood to eavesdrop as I exit the hospital and drive home. Once there I decided to cook something since I feel a little hungry and get ready for bed. I shut my eyes and a picture of Edward crosses my mind.

The fact that he almost risked his identity to save me made my heart jump but I ignored the feeling and drifted off to sleep.