the hunt

Currently dressed in a vintage brown sweater and loose pants that's only held up by a belt, she thought it's the cleanest she's been for the past five days.

The thought made her heart sink, the loneliness and fear clawing at her gut as she realized there's no way she'd be able to come home anytime soon. Aside from the fact she's too far away, her powers won't let her.

It's almost as if it's alive on it's own. And although it hurts to leave her grandfather behind, she knows it's safer to be out of their house.

And...also because of that thing...

It's constantly everywhere, and because of the fear, her body and powers are reacting on their own--as if to protect her and lead her as far away from danger. 

At the thought, the hairs on her nape stood, her head snapping backwards.

She felt...somethingWhat was that?

"Oh, are you done, dear? You must be starving." Angel smiled at her warmly, gesturing for her to follow. Angel is Todd's wife, the man who took her in gracefully. Grateful for the old couple, she nodded her head with a smile.

"Yes...I haven't eaten in hours." 

"You poor thing..."

Following after the the old lady, she glanced at the framed pictures hanging on the wall. A photo of a woman no older than her is at the middle, the picture larger than the rest. She looked to be their daughter, one that has probably moved out already due to her absence. Or maybe she's at work?

Shaking her head, they headed to a small and simple dining area. Todd is outside the house and seemed to be tending to his motorcycle.

Somehow, the two reminded her of her grandparents. Expression falling, she thought back ot her recently passed grandmother. Shakily breathing in and out to compose herself, she let another thought occupy her mind.

Muffins?

"I made some roasted chicken and vegetables, come and eat. And I also just baked these muffins, my daughter loved them and I just couldn't stop baking them..." gesturing for her to sit, the young girl obliged, listening.

"That woman on the pictures?"

Angel smiled, but her eyes seemed far away with her expression somber, "yes, my little girl."

"Is she...?" Afraid to say the words, she trailed off, guiltily watching as the old woman sat on the opposite side of the table.

"She's in a coma, have been for five months now...the doctors said there's a bigger chance she might not wake up." 

Angel looked so broken, trying to hold back tears as she avoided her gaze. The young girl reached for her hand, a sad and sympathetic smile displayed on her lips.