8 - Marinette / Ladybug

Ladybug was a little nervous to say the least. It had been a week since the last Akuma, and she was getting really suspicious. Alerts had been going out to Parisians to be on high alert, but still, the lull was worrying. 

Tonight, she'd invited Chat Noir to meet her at the Eiffel tower. Ages ago they'd met up there for patrols, but with so many attacks, they'd given up in favour of sleep. 

Ladybug paced nervously as she waited for him. Admittedly, she had a number of things she wanted to speak to him about, most importantly: apologising. She felt awful about how things had been between them lately, so she'd brought a few things from the bakery for them to snack on, and take a break. 

Her exams had gone well the last week, and she was forever grateful to Adrien for his help. He'd wanted to meet up again to study, but things had been so crazy at the bakery, and with Luka that she hadn't been able to. It was so nice finally being his friend, letting him be a human being rather than the perfect guy she had been obsessed with. Ladybug didn't hide her wince.

It wasn't long until Chat Noir arrived, landing silently on the railing, "Evening Milady."

Ladybug grinned, "Well hello mon chaton."

He dropped down, taking in the small blanket and food she'd set up, "This is...new."

Ladybug rolled her eyes, "Just sit will you."

He shrugged and took a seat. Ladybug had seen him a thousand times before, knew his mannerisms, thoughts and feelings, and yet, something about him seemed so new. Had he changed his hair? He was definitely taller. Or maybe it was how much more muscular he looked. No, it was probably the hair. 

Ladybug sat too, offering him a tray of sweets, he took a macaron, staring at it fondly before shoving it in his mouth.

"So, to what do I owe this pleasure? Usually our meetings are under far less...pleasant circumstances," Chat Noir asked between bites, his green eyes practically glowing against his dark mask. 

Ladybug took a deep breath, "A few things, actually. First, I wanted to apologise. I haven't been all that nice to you lately. I know we're both struggling with the Akuma attacks, but it's no excuse. I also know that this doesn't exactly make it up to you, but I hope it's at least...a start."

He blinked, "Oh. Wow. Thank you, but it's okay, really. I don't think I've been all that great of a partner recently either." He looked up at her, "How about we both promise to do better?" 

Ladybug smiled, and held up her croissant, he bumped his own against hers in a mock 'cheers' and they grinned at each other. 

They stayed like that for a moment, before Chat Noir asked, "So what else did you want to talk to me about?"

Ladybug finished her croissant, "Well, I've been thinking, that with so many new attacks, it's been really hard on us. I thought we could give out some of the other Miraculous, maybe not permanently, but at least for a little while. I wanted to talk to you about it first too."

Chat Noir listed his head as he listened to her, "You want to grow our little team? I trust you Ladybug, if you think this is the best thing, then let's do it."

Ladybug grinned, bolstered by his unwavering confidence in her, "Well in that case, I thought we could do it together, it's not fair that only I know who they are right?"

"But you're the guardian of the miraculous! Am I even allowed to know?"

"I trust you too kitty, and if I'm guardian, I get to make some of the rules."

"Does this mean we can tell each other who we are yet?" 

Ladybug rolled her eyes, "Oh come on. You know what we agreed on, once we defeat Hawkmoth...well, if you still want to reveal yourself, you may."

"Well in the meantime, who's miraculous are we giving out first?" Chat Noir asked. 

Ladybug stood, "See if you can keep up." With that, she took off, using her yo-yo to propel her through Paris to their first destination. 

She landed on the roof opposite the place, Chat Noir dropping down beside her a moment later. Through the window, the girl came into view, a boy following her, "Is that..."

"Alya. Rena Rouge. And Nino, Carapace. I gave them their miraculous a while ago, and they haven't failed me yet, I trust them. What do you say Chat?"

Chat Noir scrutinised the building for a moment, thinking hard it seemed. "Alright milady, how do we get their attention?"

After posting a quick comment on the LadyBlog, Chat Noir and Ladybug waited for the two to appear outside. They did a moment later, a second away from squealing with delight. They pulled the pair back up onto their roof, where they figured it was safer to talk. 

"Hello Alya and Nino," Ladybug started.

"Oh my gosh! This is so cool! Are you guys really here to give me a statement for the LadyBlog?" Alya asked. 

Chat Noir answered, "Not quite. We're actually...here for another reason. An important one. I have no doubt you're aware of the more frequent akuma attacks."

Alya and Nino nodded, so Ladybug went on, "It's been hard for us both, up all hours of the day and night fighting. We were hoping..." She looked back to Chat Noir, who had a hard look on his face. She looked back to them, and pulled out her two boxes, "We were hoping we could get some help, from Carapace and Rena Rouge."

The two of them looked at the boxes containing their magical jewellery, and then back up to her. 

"Of course! We won't let you down!"

"You got it, Ladybug!" 

Ladybug smiled at them, and saw that Chat Noir had a small smile too, but it faded quickly. What was his problem? He'd been all for this just moments before.

"I will warn you though, this is a big responsibility, and neither of us will be upset if you can't do it. We...we don't expect you to be at every fight, but please, if you can help, do. I don't think I need to remind you to never let these fall into the hands of Hawkmoth either." Alya nodded, reaching for the box. Ladybug pulled it back a little, "Hang on a second. I have one last thing. I've had problems with giving these out in the past, and well, I want you to really understand how serious this is. You guys have a week to prove that you can do this. After that, if you show you can, you'll get to keep your miraculous until Hawkmoth is defeated. If not, I'll have to take them back. Do you understand?"

They sounded their agreement. 

"Excellent. I'll be seeing you guys around then!" Ladybug handed them their respective boxes, and grabbed Alya around the waist, lowering them to the ground. She was practically bubbling over with excitement, talking about how cool it was going to be working with them. 

Ladybug waved goodbye, preparing to head to their last destination for tonight.

*****************

Hello! I hope you enjoyed this chapter, please give it a vote if you did, it really helps the story reach even more readers. :D